Channahon "Father & Daughter" newbs need a Mentor.

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Bdavis30
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Channahon "Father & Daughter" newbs need a Mentor.

Post by Bdavis30 »

I've contemplated the 501st for a long time but watching how much fun my teenage daughter had interacting with the Unit at the Comic-con and talking for days about the both of us joining the legion has tipped the scale for me. I know little about the journey. I just know I want to be a part of it and my daughter does too. We live in the Channhon area but can travel regardless. Looking for someone to get us pointed in the right direction and maybe even mentor the journey. Were in with both feet, we would just rather navigate the waters with an experienced guide to prevent uncessary delay or costly errors.

Our goal is the join the 501st as fully acepted members and be considered as participants in next years Comic-con or a multitide of events the unit would call upon us to participate in.

815-828-5857 or my work cell: 312-613-4636.
Home email: jenandbrandondavis@comcast.net

Brandon Davis

Coin
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 12108

Re: Channahon "Father & Daughter" newbs need a Mentor.

Post by Coin »

Welcome! I'm pretty new too, and it was an awesome decision, but as I found out as wel,l you made the right first step. Your here, now who do you plan too be? All of the next several replies other than "hi" depend on that.

Welcome
DZ-12108
Kim Worley

BlackSun51
Garrison Webmaster
Garrison Webmaster
501st Legion ID: 41551

Post by BlackSun51 »

Welcome Brandon!

I too have made the jump in with both feet. This is the place to ask all your questions. Everyone I have talked to has been very helpful!
-Eric Werner

Duty. Honor. Empire.

TS826
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 826

Post by TS826 »

Welcome to the forum.
Always cool to see potential members join the ranks.

The very first thing you will want to do is read the "How to Join" page, on the main 501st Legion site.
http://www.501st.com

Scroll down the right side of the page until you see the photo of Vader, with the phrase... "Vader Wants You!"
Clicking that will bring you to the guidelines on joining the 501st as well as a few other helpful links, such as the "Trooper Survival Guide".

After you have read that, come back here and (like coin mentioned) let us know what characters the both of you are interested in creating.
Once we know what they are, the snowball will start it's journey downhill and it won't take long before it's rolling at full speed.

Bdavis30
Imperial Recruit

Post by Bdavis30 »

Thanks for the direction. Here's where I need to take it.

1. Daughter is only 16 so I know now she can't be a member yet....but I can develop her costume and prepare her for application inside of two years.

2. I am intersted in being a Sith Lord, specifically Darth Vader. My Daughter is intersted in being an Imperial Storm Trooper. I saw the warning on the "upper scale" costumes they sell online and have decided to hold back on purchasing anything really until the veteran membership weighs in on the issue. I've alse been able to determine that there are different material grades used in these casts. Same for armor sizing. For what its worth I'm 6ft 2". Looks like there are different outfits that cast towards specific body sizes as well.

I'm willing to put some $$ into this but it's relative. I think $1500 per outfit is reasonable...I'm sure there are those who spend much more...and some who spend less. That's the range I'm looking at though.

so......get me pointed in the right direction. Armor sell party, select vendor, I'm patient and willing to work with a good vendor who's even got a backlog and will need me to wait.

Excited...and ready.

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

Welcome aboard! There are several great Vaders in the Garrison who Im sure can point you in the right direction, the Sith Lord Detachment XO is here! :mrgreen: Looking forward to serving you M'Lord
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

TS826
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 826

Post by TS826 »

Vader and Trooper.
Ebony and Ivory 8)

As you may or may not know, the 501st has several "Costume Detachments" dedicated to individual characters.
With that bit of info, these are the next two places you will want to visit:

The 501st - "Sith Lord Detachment":
http://www.501stsithlords.com
Click on "Detachment Forum" (top of that page) to get rolling and read through the Vader section(s).

And, the 501st - "Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment"
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/

This thread should be particularly helpful:
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/1 ... find-them/

* First bit of "accurate costume" advice...
Purchase nothing online/ name brand.
You'll only spend more then it's worth and be disappointed when you open the box(es).

beans
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 4541

Post by beans »

Welcome welcome to the forum!!

I see Damian already provided some great resources from our costume detachments, there is a ton of info in there.

Funny you should mention mentors, we actually have some mentor volunteers depending on which costume you are building! Solcar23 and Gazmosis are our northern Illinois mentors for the stormtrooper costume, and Arcturus1020 is our northern Illinois mentor for the Vaders. All three are extremely knowledgeable so reach out to them if you have questions as you get started! :D Feel free to post questions here in the forum too.

Good luck!! Looking forward to trooping with both of you someday!