New user, lost and confused.

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier
4poziom.waw.pl

New user, lost and confused.

Post by armoredguard »

Ok first off I'm armoredguard and I just got in this site I have nothing but a flexible budget enthusiasm and the desire to get accurate stormtrooper armor. Perhaps I need to fill out some id10t forms but I dont understand where to start on building buying or otherwise obtaining the white armor I have 0 skill in plasic casting my hobbies are paintball no help there and weaving chainmail again lack of help. So without further ado I implore thee how am I supposed to progress? I have next to 0 desire to learn to cast plastic no room in my apartment so help would be awesome im from Rantoul Illinois but wont be home til june. So no hurry on the assistance/advice.
Never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Re: New user, lost and confused.

Post by Fleetfang »

Hey there, armoredguard!
You've actually got more figured out than you think. You found the right Legion Garrison to approach, and we've got almost 50 units world-wide, so there's that! ;) You've also already decided that you want to build a TK costume, and you know your limits. That's good, too.

First off, I'd recommend reading this post here: http://www.midwestgarrison.com/forum/vi ... 61&t=13034
It's a basic "I want to join, so what do I do?" message that should answer some of your questions about the 501st Legion and what your next steps should be. In your case, it'll be a lot of research on http://www.whitearmor.net, the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment. Head over there, register on their forums, read up on different styles of TK armor kits, and ask questions of the msot experienced stormtrooper costumers and outfitters in the Legion, from all over the world.

We're ramping up a new "mentor" initiative which works very similar to the FISD's "attache'" program. Two guys here on our forums (and on the FISD forums) who could be of great use to you would be gazmosis and Solcar23. They're both expert TKs. And while they both live near Chicago, we do have a strong contingent of troopers in central Illinois who will likely be able to provide you with some hands-on guidance as you put your kit together.

If you've got any specific questions you want to ask of the members you'll be trooping with most often, please feel free to fire away. And we'd love to see updates on your build as it progresses in this thread.

Good luck on your costuming journey, and hope to be trooping with you soon!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

Thank you fleetfang I've done an amount of reading and settled on an anh stunt tk so progress is being made I just feel lost with the whole how do I start part then again ive invested about 6 hours so far. That being said im going to begin searching for a kit despite my incredible fears of messing it up with bad cutting gluing skills so again I thank you.

iceburgh
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9442

Post by iceburgh »

Welcome aboard.
Again sorry for the delay for getting you activated.
Chris
aka Iceburgh / Lunchbox

501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 7696

Post by 138 »

Welcome aboard ;)
i'm so far from normal.
and it's funny cause that's where i live!!!!
#transparency

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

thanks all and again iceburgh thank you for the over prompt service i really didnt expect it that fast so just a general question what kit would fit me best im 6 feet tall and 145lbs skinny i am looking but would like an experienced opinion.

jweger77
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9142

Post by jweger77 »

Welcome! You've made the first important steps. We have a ton of TK experts around to aid you. Do not worry about the thoughts of 'I don't have the skills to....'very few come in and get started with full confidence. It's truly killer what you can do with the right assistance. You've out out there a desire to do this...I'm confident a master will present themself for you.

teach42
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9526

Post by teach42 »

Welcome aboard!

It all does feel overwhelming until you start breaking it down. You can buy an armor kit, so no need to learn how to vacuuform or anything. Best bet is to find the costume you want, get signed up for the corresponding forums for that particular costume, and then overdose on people's WIP threads.

And don't be shy about PM'ing people and asking for help directly. You'll find most people around here are VERY responsive and helpful!

Good luck :)
Steve

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

Thanks been killing myself reading whitearmornet forums no responses yet ive been able to locate regarding the difficult size I am long legs long arms tall skinny torso im afraid without using a bigger kit and installing internal shims ill look like a white pencil. Also am flabbergasted at how thin the materials are im military so every time I think armor I think 3/4" extra heavy no flex this will be an adjustment of mind I think. So freaking excited im deployed and will be home june so debating between finding a kit and ordering it now ive heard some have huge delays or waiting awhile so the excitement wears down a little. Unsure of the best course of action but I know between the hundreds of talented minds here a solution will present itself also I absolutley refuse to purchase a pre made/used kit/costume I feel I must build it myself sort of invest a portion of me into it if that makes any sense. Again thank you all back to making the eyes bleed I think...I'll check back in here a little later.

Skypanda
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 7844

Post by Skypanda »

Welcome! I'm from close to St. Louis, but I actually know where Rantoul is!

People in the legion have all kinds of tricks for making armor look good. I know next to nothing about armor (I have my shadow stormtrooper armor, but it's still in the box...), but if people on here can't help you, people on the FISD forms can probably help you out quite a bit.

Welcome again! My friend Firebat and I make it up to central Illinois occasionally to troop, so hopefully we'll be trooping with you in the near future! :D

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

thanks panda...and you never know we might end up meeting in the future by my own estimate ill have this figured out purchased and put together by november...maybe but hey ill be a little outside st loius in sep im taking part in the tough mudder obstacle course/mud run...and yeah whitearmor is a great resource but im having trouble figureing out a good way to get the attention of knowledgable people

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

Good ways to get a direct response:
1) Start an introduction thread over there, similar to what you've done here.
2) Have specific questions. If you've been reading other build threads, a few things may have come to mind as you were going over them.
3) Send a Private Message to someone who seems knowledgeable. If you can't decide, you could shoot one to the Detachment Leader or to one of our MWG members who is over there (gazmosis, Solcar42, etc).

I think the biggest question you have at this point is, given your personal build, what kit would be the best one for you to purchase? There are kits for bigger guys, and some kits for smaller folks. You might also pitch your question about filling the suit out to the general readership in your intro thread. The MWG XO, TKBeans has solved this problem by adding foam padding under her undersuit at her joints, to give the illusion of a more manly trooper under the armor. Maybe that would work for you, too.

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

Thanks fleetfang and yeah I was already tossing the idea of doing a 1/4" foam wrap on the inside of the various pieces to obtain a little fake mass to the armor ie making me look like a normal human instead of a walking skeleton (stupid metabolism...allowing me to count my own ribs) I ran inti a guy who is kinda in the same boat so got his ideas from months ago. Also thinking the ata armor isnt for me considering the 6 month delay on it with proper nd strategic foam pad placement nearly any suit can be modded to fit me I found out so im comparing various kits any personal preference? And why? Also ive already been talking to gazmosis so far extremely helpful I doubt that will change so in conclusion I plan on ordering a kit withing the next 96 hours and when I begin assembling im going to video every step and upload it on youtube for opinions and if I do it well then maybe it can be a tutorial we'll see.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

Speaking of YouTube, there should be a series of videos called "Dave's Garage"... they were invaluable to me when I built my FX kit. It was the closest thing that I had to any kind of second opinion or hands-on assistance. :rollin:
Sounds like you are in good hands. :)

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

I will definitely look that up on youtube probably more than once. But what armor do you have? And why did you pick that particular one. Ive been comparing the various types for awhile now and im not afraid of trying a harder kit if it will yield a perfect (to me) set of tk armor. Hell ive got a buddy who is loking at my new obsession and saying "why not enameled aluminum?" Thanks much also for the little nudge of hey introduce yourself over on fisd I completely forgot to so maybe ill get some hits that way.so as usual thanks again.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Fleetfang »

I actually got my armor kit back in 2004 or 2005, so there were a lot fewer options back then. The FX kit is one of the least accurate and easy to build suits available today. It's been completely retooled and re-released with more accurate details as (I believe) "AM" armor. The helmet that comes with the FX kit is about 30% too large for screen accuracy. it can still pass muster in the Legion, but there are annual (and semi-annual) debates about retiring it from new approvals. It's time is coming, I'm sure. If and when that happens, the people with FX buckets would likely be grandfathered in, so they could keep wearing them if that's all that they have.

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

Well now im in the waiting game ive emailed both rt and ap to see various options price etc. ?.im sure the correct kit will present itself im in no hurry to get it just a hurry to order it I could care less if it doesnt ship for 6 weeks

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

What is your body build?

I'll behoove you to get in contact with ataworks@yahoo.com

ATA is affordable, and accurate right out of the box. Many users here wear ATA, including myself (who was the first, and I'll preach getting a suit of ATA any day.) Tell him Doughboy sent ya.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

armoredguard
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by armoredguard »

I like the idea of ata but they have a 6 month waiting list going im looking for something that has a 2 and a half month wait top end. As for body build. I have no extra pounds I am 6 feet tall and only 145lbs so you can imagine im very skinny very very. Other than that I suppose im normal build just tall and thin.

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Post by SL9965 »

Hello armoredguard.

I live in Monticello and I've built stormtrooper, Vader and Clone armor. If you need some help with the armor, just let me know. There's also Rick Devine in Mahomet and Tom Durbin and Ryan Summers in Champaign. They all have TK armor and could give you pointers.

Welcome to the group!
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011