Hey gang!

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

swilgus
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Hey gang!

Post by swilgus »

Howdy!

I'm living in Wheaton at the moment (I'm a junior at Wheaton College), and I have wanted to join the 501st for a good while. I think it's finally time to make it happen! I've been to a number of comic cons in Dallas where I grew up as well as C2E2 in Chicago last year. I am always quite impressed with (and maybe a little envious of) 501st troopers! Ideally I'd like to go for sandtrooper armor, but I might have to start with TK depending on finances. I have done a fair amount of armor research, but I'm still a bit confused about how to get started, what my options are, etc. Any direction/advice regarding where to get armor and accessories would be of great help. Thanks!

-Sam

hitman
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8596

Re: Hey gang!

Post by hitman »

Welcome Sam & I hope to see you at C2E2.

The main question is what character do you want to do?

I have a Revenge of the Sith (armored) Darth Vader & a Empire Strikes Back Stormtrooper so I can assist you in those areas.

Matt

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

How tall are you and what do you weigh? TK would be the best to cut your teeth on.

I'm going to say right now ATA is the best way to go for your first armor. Fits 5'6"-6'0" and is ABS. A full armor kit is around $550, a E-11 can run anything from $150-250. TKboots are around $40. Rubber gloves are what, $6? Rubber handplates are $40-50. Trooperbay sells accessory kits to finish your lid. Split rivets for the sides. Fabric belts are also on Trooperbay I believe. Underarmor depending on heat, or cold gear can run $70-90 for a set. Neckseals around ~$40. Fabric for snaps is pretty cheap and you get the stretchy kind, and the firm kind. Snaps I remember being expensive if you mess up like I did making them backwards, rather; they add up quickly. Measure twice cut once.

I made mine at 17 and messed up plenty, but eventually I got EIB...nowadays there is Centurion which is a little higher (basically the right rivets and correct E-11).

Go make a profile on whitearmor.net and get to researching.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

hitman
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8596

Post by hitman »

Dang paint fumes got me, I didn't see TK there..

I also would suggest create a account on whitearmor.net

I am a big guy (6' 2" 280lbs) so I went with AM armor.

terryfett
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 3259

Post by terryfett »

Welcome! I just moved from Wheaton last year, but I'm still just down the road from you in Lisle. If I can help at all, let me know.....dont know muh about the boys in white, though, as I rock the Fett!
Terry

swilgus
Imperial Recruit

Post by swilgus »

Thanks guys, I just created an account over at whitearmor, time to do some research! I definitely hope to meet some of you guys at C2E2!

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

Hey Sam, and welcome to the garrison boards.

Youve already been steered in the right direction by signing up at whitearmor. They have all the information on Stormtroopers. We have several accomplished TK builders in the garrison, so fire away with any questions you may have. One of us will do our best to help you out. :thumbs:
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

jweger77
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9142

Post by jweger77 »

Welcome Sam! You'll definitely find a lot of folks here eager to help you on your way.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Howdy Sam!

I'm a Texan transplant to Chicago, myself. I grew up in Houston, outside Sugarland; graduated from high school in the Metroplex mid-cities, in Grapevine; and am a fightin' Texas Aggie, class o' '98 (WHOOP!). I even spent a summer living out in Wheaton, near Shaffner and Roosevelt. Looks like you're following me!
Doughboy has given you some great advice to get you started. Look for him over on the FISD. Gazmosis over there is also one of ours, too. He lives in Naperville, and has a ton of hands-on experience constructing various makes of white armor. He's helped more new TKs join the Midwest Garrison than anyone else I can think of.

The most important thing at this stage is to do your research before you buy anything. You've come to the right place (and places, with the FISD), so don't be shy about asking for opinions, advice, or assistance! Lord Vader always needs new cannon fodder!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 118

Post by TK118 »

Hi Sam.. glad your going to join us.

For stormtrooper info sign up to the FISD forums, for sandtrooper you will want to go to MEPD forums

But there are lots of us here who can help you as well.