Hello everyone

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

RuggerJoe
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Hello everyone

Post by RuggerJoe »

Hello everyone, I'm Joe and live on the north side of Chicago. I've been interested in doing costuming for a while (Starwars, Stargate and firefly), but never really got beyond buying stuff here and there for Ren Faire. After sitting in on a panel at C2E2 on Sundayand learning a bit about the 501st, I decided there is no time like the present to start. So now the question is where do I start. Ultimately an TK or TB would be my goal, But I also realize it might be easier to start out with something a little simpler. Not to mentions I'm also a little big for a Stormtrooper and that will give me some time to get into better shape.

I've built models and figures for years so I'm considering starting out with building a PVC E-11 blaster from plans I've found. Do theve generally result in a useable blaster? I've also seen some Steerling parts cast in resin on ebay, are these worth while?

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Re: Hello everyone

Post by woulf »

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the boards. If your thinking TK or TB, then i would recommend go to their detachment site, and joining their forums as well. They will have all the info on that particular costume.

For TKs its:
http://www.whitearmor.net/fisd/Main_Page

For TBs its:
http://www.bikerscout.net/

that being said, here's the link for all the detachments, so you can see whats truely out there.
http://www.501st.com/members/displayUni ... etachments

There is a wealth of knowledge at these sites, as well as the members here, so research your options, and ask lots of questions. All I can suggest is to take your time, and find what bests suits you and enjoy the build.

Once again welcome
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

For E-11...Doopydoos makes a WHOLE resin kit. Also APEX sells Sterling submagazine gun parts to supplement it. I am making a PVC/Doopy/Sterling Frakenstein this fall. Welcome to the forums.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Firebat
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 373

Post by Firebat »

Welcome aboard! I would also recommend a resin kit. The full metal ones like Gaza and I lug around get heavy after awhile. :roll:

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Welcome to the MWG forums, Joe! I'm Brian, the biker who was at the podium for our C2E2 panel. Glad to hear that it piqued your interest, and even gladder to see you following through on that interest by taking your first step into this larger world! :D
We're here to help - as you can probably tell by now ;) - so if you need any direction, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your blaster build and with the costume you'll be making to go with it!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3446

Post by TK3446 »

Welcome! Do you mean bigger for being tall or on the weight side? We come in all shapes and sizes so we'll be able to help ya!
Neil " El Blanco Lando" Auer
TK3446

RuggerJoe
Imperial Recruit

Post by RuggerJoe »

I've just registered at the TK and TB detachments, and have been reading through the forums there.

I'me going with the PVC kit for two reasons. One I'm a little concerned about the strength of an all resin kit. The resins I've worked with have always seemed a little brittle and I'd be woried about damage from use. Two, I've been offered a spare kit by someone. I am interested in hearing about the all metal one. Is that a deactivated and modified Sterling? While it's defanily going to be heavier, I would think it is much more durable. I might have to consider something like that as an aditional build down the road.

As for being a bigger guy I'm 5'10" and 285 (and dropping). So there won't be short jokes, but I might be a little big for a Stormtrooper.

beans
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 4541

Post by beans »

The metal e-11's are AWESOME, it's a deactivated sterling, but I can attest that it's tough to hold it for more than 15 minutes. It's HEAVY. A deactivated sterling is a cool thing to have as a prop but probably too heavy for trooping. Unless you're really strong ;) I am not.

Resin is light, but there is the risk if you drop it on hard surfaces. There's also the option of a rubber blaster, very light, and very durable. but it's pricier.

River
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3166

Post by River »

RuggerJoe wrote: As for being a bigger guy I'm 5'10" and 285 (and dropping). So there won't be short jokes, but I might be a little big for a Stormtrooper.
Welcome "Joe"

River here, dont' ever be worried about 'short' jokes. Albeit, there may be an ewok joke here or there, but you're not 'that' short.

Anyhoo, I'm 5'8 and around 210 (and dropping). So don't let that discourage you. Remember, this is for fun and for the kids. One can't love this organization enough.

and in classic "River" style

WELCOME TO THE BEST DAMNED GARRISON IN THE 501ST!
ok, i got that off my chest.

You've got some great people reaching out to you bro, do your best, and get out here and troop!

-River
TROOP! For a cause. What do YOU troop for?

RuggerJoe
Imperial Recruit

Post by RuggerJoe »

After a little research on the TK and TB forums, I'm starting to lean toward doing a Biker Scout, since it seems a little more friendly to bigger bodies, even though I really want to do a standard Storm Trooper. How do they compare in cost and ease of the builds. Seems like there is more to hand make with the TB. Which is not a bad thing, but I will need to brush up/learn to sew.

River
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3166

Post by River »

RuggerJoe wrote:After a little research on the TK and TB forums, I'm starting to lean toward doing a Biker Scout, since it seems a little more friendly to bigger bodies, even though I really want to do a standard Storm Trooper. How do they compare in cost and ease of the builds. Seems like there is more to hand make with the TB. Which is not a bad thing, but I will need to brush up/learn to sew.
Hey Joe,

The TB is easier and much more forgiving than TK (or clone). The cost is nearly comprable it really depends on how 'accurate' you want to go. I'm in the middle toward the end of my TB build and you can always buy a standard black flight suit and have someone mod it for you. That's typically cheaper.

but to be more specific, the prices are comporable between the two, it really just comes down to how accurate you want to be.

-River
TROOP! For a cause. What do YOU troop for?

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

I would kind of disagree. These days, the TK armor made by AM is molded to allow for larger guys (though it does depend on how large). And overall, you can make a TK for about $700 or so, all told (armor kit, helmet (if not included), body suit, boots, blaster, holster), and there is almost no sewing involved at all (just the holster, if you make it yourself).

While River is right that the Biker flight suit is easy enough (though suede patches are now required), the cummerbund and pouches are definitely something that you'd need to custom create or hire out to someone. Same with the boots. For a Scout, the cost is really going to depend on how much of the soft parts you can make yourself (or how cheaply you can get them made). My TB is Studio Creations armor with a MLCv3 helmet, and those two things together add up to about $650 right there. Add in the cummerbund, boots, and hyperfirm scout pistol, and I think my suit would easily cost $1000 or more to reconstruct.
That's just an estimate, though. JPOrlando just built a scout, so he might be better able to give you a cost breakdown of what he spent.

Ultimately, I'd counsel you to build the costume you want to build. Follow your heart.
I didn't for my first costume, and I was only about a half-hour into my first troop when I realized that I wasn't wearing the armor that I really wanted to be wearing. Fortunately, I was able to correct that mistake.
There's always another costume around the corner, too. Just ask TK9039... He ended up with, like, five costumes within his first year of joining up! :rollin:
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

RuggerJoe
Imperial Recruit

Post by RuggerJoe »

My biggest concern is in finding the boots. There are pvc safety boots that are close, but will these be acceptable? I'm not overly concerned with say making the cumberbund if I can find a decent pattern/instructions. I do have basic sewing skills and my wifes sewing machine.

As far a building what I ready want. I would rather have a more forgiving TB armor now that looks good. Than loose fitting TK after I drop another 60 pounds, which is my goal.

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 542

Post by Mr Fett »

beans wrote:The metal e-11's are AWESOME, it's a deactivated sterling, but I can attest that it's tough to hold it for more than 15 minutes. It's HEAVY. A deactivated sterling is a cool thing to have as a prop but probably too heavy for trooping. Unless you're really strong ;) I am not.

Resin is light, but there is the risk if you drop it on hard surfaces. There's also the option of a rubber blaster, very light, and very durable. but it's pricier.
With my Snowtrooper I have a Kenner plastic blaster and a real demilled Sterling. If it's a long event, I carry the Kenner cause it weighs nothing. If it's a shorter length event, I always carry the real one. I just call it my arm workout for the day. :wink: Snowtroopers don't even have E-11 holsters, so I can get away toting this thing around. There's no way I'd want to hang that 6 pound blaster off my hip in a holster, buy carrying it isn't too bad. Makes me strong. :lol: