Hello, i'm new here!!

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Skymauler
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Hello, i'm new here!!

Post by Skymauler »

Hello everybody!! It's great to be here. I have been a lifelong Star Wars fan, and have always wanted to venture into costuming, but maybe got scared off before trying. Even then, I have always admired the 501st for the great costumes and the amazing charity work. I took my son to the Kane County Cougars "Star Wars Night" a few weeks ago, and decided there that this was something i need to do. Just seeing the way that kid's faces light up, and being able to do the things you do to improve peoples lives when they may be going thru very hard times, that must give you the best feeling in the world. As I said before, I have not attempted any costuming before, and will probably be asking a lot of questions. So I have decided to start, and am looking at doing a phase 2 ARC Trooper (maybe Echo or Fives), my first question is: where on earth do I start? Are their starter kits available that are approved, is it combinations of sintra and other materials... Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

bassclarinets
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 5365

Re: Hello, i'm new here!!

Post by bassclarinets »

Hi! Welcome.. paruse some of our armory threads(on this board) to see some of our local members builds (look for the WIP threads - work in progress).. clones and their cousins are a BIT more involved in the armor builds, but totally doable..

kits are your friends.. look around, get a good feel for what you are looking at doing, and opportunities will start to "magically" open and those opportunites are definitely not EBAY!

clonetroopers.net is a GREAT place to start to look at clone variants and to get a feel for how one starts the build, but we have plenty of clone variants here that we can definitely give you a good idea too

sorry, i can't be of more detail at this exact moment, but welcome!

jen
"one way of developing character is to help the less fortunate. Getting insulted for several hours is the least I can do." - Judge Tony Polumbo

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Welcome to the Midwest Garrison forums, Skymauler!
I was one of the Biker Scouts at the Kane County game. Maybe we ran into one another. :)
Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on Clone troopers, but bassclarinets, psykojedi, and TK265 have all recently completed some clone armor. You've taken the right steps in introducing yourself here, since someday you'll be trooping with the Midwest Garrison, and bassclarinets is right, the Legion Clonetrooper Detachment at Clonetroopers.net will be a great resource as you're researching your costume options, gathering materials, and building your costume.
You've taken your first step into a larger world... Enjoy the journey!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1659

Post by Remo »

Welcome. Trooping does give you a good feeling. As she mentioned, the clonetrooper board is a great place to start. The Midwest Garrison is the IL chapter of the 501st Legion. All the costumes are seperated into "detachments", like here http://www.501st.com/members/displayUni ... etachments
The detachments contain all the info you could hope for in learning about the various costumes.
Just remember, stay off of ebay (can't be guaurnteed Legion quality) and make yourself known around the particular detachment you want. Talk to people, ask lots of questions and read!!! Most everyone is always glad to help out an aspiring member. Good luck
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams".

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

Welcome!

As an aspiring new member myself, let me say that everyone here has been extremely helpful. Just do some research on the costume your interested in, and ask lots of questions. Theres a wealth of knowledge both here and all the detachment boards. And theres lots of members who have already done it and can help point you in both what to get, and what to steer clear of. :mrgreen:

Again Welcome!

Steve "soon to be" TK
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

Dude and Echo or Fives would be excellent. Welcome to the club, also as a clone you'd be eligible to join our sister club the Rebel Legion with that costume as well.

Hey guys, I'm slipping who just did the Arc? Rudy? I think he'd be a good person for this guy to talk to.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

Vadersblade
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 8310

Post by Vadersblade »

Welcome to the forums! "You've taken your first step into a larger world...."

Rudy is the man you want to talk to. He just finished his Commander Colt and probably has the best grasp amongst our members of the new Phase ARCs.

I have an old ARC non-animated style, so I'm happy to try and field any questions I might be able to answer! Hit me up here or via PM!

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 118

Post by TK118 »

Hi Mike and WELCOME!

You will be a great asset to the MWG.. Looking forward to trooping with you!