Hello, new to forum

New forum users, please introduce yourselves here. MWG members can answer most questions you may have.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

millwright1999
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

Hello, new to forum

Post by millwright1999 »

Greetings, My name is Bob Olson and I have just joined this forum looking to join the 501st. You guys and gals do great work for kids and other organizations. I'm looking for a costume, I'm handy enough I can make my own probably from a kit. The problem is I don't know what I should be. I'm short, only 5'3" Kinda short for a storm trooper. I would do a storm trooper, but if there is some other costume I should pick, I am open for suggestions. I live near Rockford, so I'm not sure if there are any activities the 501st does out here or not.

Any info or insight anyone can give me would be great. Have a great day.

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Re: Hello, new to forum

Post by iam8114 »

Hi Bob, you're not too short for a stormtrooper, but you'll hear that line a million times either way. I get it and I'm 6'1".

Anyways, there are so many costumes out there that you can pick from, so just go and choose to be what you want to be. Do you want be a Stormtrooper? Go for it. If you're not sure, pour through 501st.com and take a look at what is possible.

We're here to help guide you as are the different 501st detachment websites where you'll do most of your research once you decide what you might want to build. If you decide you want to be on the light side of the force, there's always rebellegion.com as well. There's a LOT of information out there and it can be very daunting. Take your time, do your research and don't rush into anything. You'll be happier in the long run. If you have questions, just ask.

You're also welcome to drop us a line and come out to any of our events and talk with us in person.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

valissa
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 9709

Post by valissa »

Greetings!!

I would recommend taking a look at ALL the possibilities before you make a choice. There are benefits and draw backs to each one. The best resource will be the forum members! No question is to small or insignificant. Take your time and do some research and you will find all the help you need here!

Best of luck and hope to see your progress soon!

Valissa
Valissa Lexaoel

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Hey there, Bob! How's the research and decision-making going? In case you didn't see it in another aspiring trooper's Welcome Mat thread, I'm pasting a reply I sent to him regarding a few thoughts I personally have about some of the costumes. But honestly, there are so many out there that you could do, ultimately, it's going to come down to your own personal preference. That's key to enjoying your time in costume. You stand on the edge of what will be a big labor of love. So you should pick a character that you love.

Copied and pasted from tmbrwoulf's thread:
I agree 100% with 8114. You should build a costume that you really want to build.
That said, here are a few personal thoughts I have about a number of the costumes, not all of them to be sure, just the ones that I've had a little experience with... Remember, these are just my thoughts and my experiences, your mileage may certainly vary, and others here might have completely different thoughts. Plus, there are tons of other options out there - I couldn't really comment on all of them.

Generally speaking, I prefer a costume that conceals my face. It makes for a more convincing character for the fans. Of course, with a closed helmet, you've got some of that "labor of love" pain to work through with heat and humidity inside, visibility limitations, etc. There are certainly ways to mitigate these challenges, and they can certainly be overcome. For me, it's worth it to look just like you walked off the screen.

Stormtrooper (TK): A Classic. You can wear this at any number of events and blend in. There are a lot of variations on the standard Stormtrooper, but if an event doesn't have at least one or two TKs, to me, it seems a little odd. They're the foundation of the Empire and the Legion, the glue that sticks us together. It used to be that you could say it will never go out of style, but...

Clone Troopers (TC and CT) and Clone Commanders (CC): With the Clone Wars cartoon, kids today get far more excited about the prequel characters than they do for the Original Trilogy bad guys. They still know Darth Vader and Stormtroopers (and their parents love the classic trilogy, like we do), but there have been one or two events in the last year where OT characters have been eschewed in favor of Prequel guys. Clones are the future of Star Wars. On the other hand, anyone who's built one can tell you that Clone armor is FAR more difficult to assemble.

Sandtrooper (TD): All the same stuff as a TK, but you don't need to worry about keeping yourself clean. You also get to carry around a big honking backpack and a gigantic gun. :) Don't be fooled though, there are a lot of tiny differences in the armor between a TK and a TD. If you go this route, you'll learn all about them.

Snowtrooper (TS): I don't know much about this costume, other than --depending on what you use for your soft parts-- it can be very, very hot. You might want to explore warm weather substitutions so you don't burn up during our summer parades. Some people think that Snowies look odd in summertime. I don't think so, but you'll want to ask yourself how YOU feel about it. You'll be trooping all year round, after all. If you love it, then go for it. When I was a kid, the Biker Scouts were my favorite, but I opted to build a TK first, since it was the "standard trooper". But at my first troop, I already started to have Biker envy. ;)

Biker Scout (TB): Like I said, it's my personal favorite. You get recognized as a Stormtrooper (some other costumes aren't so lucky), but you have a lot more mobility and freedom in a Scout. Pluses: sitting down, having pockets, kneeling to put yourself at a kid's level, and if a kid is a bit scared of how intimidating we look, the Scout helmet actually has a flip-up visor that you can easily raise to flash a smile to put them more at ease. I think Bikers are the costume most suited to interacting with kids. Again, that's just me. Downsides: You're not one of the classic uber-iconic characters. There are also a lot of layers to the soft parts, and (at least for me) it can get pretty hot in the summer months. I know other folks who don't have this problem at all, though.

Tusken Raider or Jawa (DZ): Great if you like to play in character! :D Sandpeople have fantastic range of motion and the freedom to wear whatever they need under their robes (warm stuff in winter, almost nothing in summer). There is very, very limited vision in the mask, though. Jawas, sadly, are really only for the short of stature.

Imperial Crewman (IC): I know I said that having a helmet makes me feel cooler. But I mention the Imperial Crewman here because it's a "gateway" costume. You can assemble the parts easily through eBay (one of the only safe things you can get on the 'Bay, actually, is an Imperial Jumpsuit by CostumeBase), and it's pretty cheap to do - maybe a couple hundred bucks. But once you get it approved, then you will be a member of the Legion and you'll have access to the stuff that we're legally obligated to hide behind the curtain of membership. We can't sell costumes to people outside the Legion, but if you're an Imperial Crewman, then you're in the Legion, and you'll be able to enter the Legion "For Sale/For Trade" boards on http://www.501st.com. Buying costume parts for other costumes will get a WHOLE lot easier for you.
Also, the Crewman uses a lot of the same costume pieces as other costumes. Lose the hat and put on an Imperial Gunner helmet and a "bib" and your IG is complete. Drop the hat and put on a TIE Helmet and upper armor, and you're a Pilot just like that. Again, trade the crewman cap for a Naval helmet, and you're a Death Star Trooper. If you swap out the jump suit for an officer's pants and tunic, you can use almost everything else for an Imperial Officer. There are lots of options just right there.

Any of the Bounty Hunters: While super cool, they are rarer costumes and more difficult to assemble, since no one (to my knowledge) puts out (for example) a full Boba Fett kit. Also, remember that you can't have two Bobas (or Bossks or Dengars) at a single smaller event. For the big conventions, it's okay (but not preferred), but at a smaller thing, you don't want to confuse folks. For that reason, a lot of the people who have a specific character (like Fett or Vader) also have a second costume they can wear if someone else calls "dibs" on being that guy first.

Some costumes don't make any demands on one's build. But there are some exceptions that might make costuming more fun for you if you fit a certain mold...
-- If you're clearly "a little short for a stormtrooper" be prepared to hear that joke a lot. :)
-- Darth Vader really needs to tower over his minions; If you're not at LEAST 6'10" in lifts, then something will look odd.
-- The Clone armor that's out there fits a very limited height and build requirement, since it needs to look "seamless." I'm not 100% sure what the height and weight range is for the couple of kits that are popular, but if you want to go clone, check with the detachment forums before buying anything that might not fit you.
-- TIES, Tuskens, Bikers, Crewmen, Officers, Snowtroopers, Gunners, just about anyone else... As variations on the standard trooper or as people with faces, there's absolutely no "limitation" for height or build. Absolutely anyone can do these costumes.

Sorry if I got a little carried away there. Ultimately, if you do something you want to do, then you can't go wrong. :)
Good luck with your research, and if you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask away!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

Hey Bob,

I'm tmbrwoulf aka Steve...the other new guy loking to join the ranks of the imperial forces :D

Just to let you know that everyone here, as well as all the other detachments have been just great at helping you become whatever it is you wish. just as theyve said, just look around at everything and pick what you like. ive already got plans about 4 different ones, lol and it keeps getting higher the more i look :D

to that end, i'd like to share a link that was passed on to me by a midwest member. It lists all the different unit detachments, like stormtrooper, snowtrooper, officers, sith lords, ect ect. i would recommend checking out each detachments forums and see whats out there. ive joined 3 different ones and as in here, everyone has been very helpful pointing me in the right direction.

http://www.501st.com/members/displayUni ... etachments

hopefully this helps you as it did me. Now go research what your roll in the empire will be :thumbs:

Steve "noob" M
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

tk1055
Rebel Legion Member
501st Legion ID: 1055

Post by tk1055 »

Welcome!! Nice to hear of someone near me, I am out of Stillman Valley just south of Rockford about 25 min. If you ever get interested I can help you do up a Jedi. :cheers:
"Sir rebels coming in from the north!"
"Good fire toward the south maybe we'll hit 'em."

bassclarinets
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 5365

Post by bassclarinets »

And psykojedi7956 and I are just north of Rockford.. We both have clones and I'm short.. So it's possible.. Hit us up if you need help or an armor party ;) we will gladly help and we have the tools and knowhow :)

Jen

Ps- we also are good at sewing and pattern making.. Just to keep your options open :)
"one way of developing character is to help the less fortunate. Getting insulted for several hours is the least I can do." - Judge Tony Polumbo

psykojedi7956
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7956

Post by psykojedi7956 »

bassclarinets wrote:And psykojedi7956 and I are just north of Rockford.. We both have clones and I'm short.. So it's possible.. Hit us up if you need help or an armor party ;) we will gladly help and we have the tools and knowhow :)

Jen

Ps- we also are good at sewing and pattern making.. Just to keep your options open :)
Yep, we live just north of Rockford, and I work for the school district (currently). Clones are possible for short people (bassclarinets is 5'5" and we got her a short kit; we had minimal trimmimng to make it fit). I would not recommend a clone as your first outfit because, as many have stated above, clones need to be seamless for most of the armor and this is a daunting task for beginners (heck, even for vets to making armor).
I agree with Brian (Fleetfang) with the IC is a really good gateway into the Legion. It can be the base for so many other outfits that you go from "what can I have to become a member?" to "which one should I have for XXXX event?"

Many have already said this, but research what you want to do. Go check out the detachments on 501st.com. Do some more research on the detachment forums. We'd be happy to have you join us this week; but in reality the more research you do and the more time you take to build your armor correctly, the better it will be when you do become a member.

So good luck, and cannot wait to troop with you when you become official (which will seem like no time) :thumbs:

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1659

Post by Remo »

Welcome Bob.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams".

TK118
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 118

Post by TK118 »

Welcome Bob.

Talk to Anthony and Jen.. Like they said they are close to Rockford and would be a lot of help to you ! :)

SL9965
Garrison Web Liaison
Garrison Web Liaison
501st Legion ID: 9965

Post by SL9965 »

Welcome Bob!
Chip Childress
TK/DS 9965
MWG Trooper of the Year 2011

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Do whatever costume you want to your heart's content. I am 5'7" and my trooper brother Neil is 6'4". I get it a lot, but not always when I hear the line is it a jab. Many times it's a playful parent or attendee who get to (gleefully) say the line to a real Stormtrooper. I always return fire by saying, "aren't you a little manly for a Princess?"It is usually in fun.

So do it if you really going for it man. I had to slightly shorten my armor to make it look more proportional on me when compared to someone like 6'1". Thus I look good and it looks like it was made perfectly for ol'Doughboy. I stand taller now from being in the military but still not hitting 6 feet without some miracle blue milk!

I would say a Tusken or Jawa actually be great. Tuskens are a lot of fun and the best photo bomber costumes out there :lol:

Just explore your possibilites. Clones are surposed to be exactly 6 foot, but I will be making one, again proportional to me to make it look great anyways. a lot times when done correctly, like my Hawiian trooper brother Shaun Braughnassy who is about the same height as me makes his look better than taller troopers. It comes down to the craftsmentship in the end as opposed to raw height. Funny thing is that Jango, the actor, is my height and how the cloners got 6 feet is Star Wars sci-fi :wink:

I am really busy most of the day being at the Academy but feel free to shot me a PM or add me on Facebook to see more pics. If going ATA, I can tell you what best to do. All I had to do to pull off my TK was just shorten the thighs by a inch. Major difference. Now that I also lost 12 pounds I will fit even better into it.

Just let me know!
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3446

Post by TK3446 »

Rebel Doughboy wrote:Do whatever costume you want to your heart's content. I am 5'7" and my trooper brother Neil is 6'4". I get it a lot, but not always when I hear the line is it a jab. Many times it's a playful parent or attendee who get to (gleefully) say the line to a real Stormtrooper. I always return fire by saying, "aren't you a little manly for a Princess?"It is usually in fun.

So do it if you really going for it man. I had to slightly shorten my armor to make it look more proportional on me when compared to someone like 6'1". Thus I look good and it looks like it was made perfectly for ol'Doughboy. I stand taller now from being in the military but still not hitting 6 feet without some miracle blue milk!

I would say a Tusken or Jawa actually be great. Tuskens are a lot of fun and the best photo bomber costumes out there :lol:

Just explore your possibilites. Clones are surposed to be exactly 6 foot, but I will be making one, again proportional to me to make it look great anyways. a lot times when done correctly, like my Hawiian trooper brother Shaun Braughnassy who is about the same height as me makes his look better than taller troopers. It comes down to the craftsmentship in the end as opposed to raw height. Funny thing is that Jango, the actor, is my height and how the cloners got 6 feet is Star Wars sci-fi :wink:

I am really busy most of the day being at the Academy but feel free to shot me a PM or add me on Facebook to see more pics. If going ATA, I can tell you what best to do. All I had to do to pull off my TK was just shorten the thighs by a inch. Major difference. Now that I also lost 12 pounds I will fit even better into it.

Just let me know!
Doughboy I'm only 6'3" jusy barely making it as a TK. Thank God for shorter legs. I agree with everyone. Do what you want. Some TK's wear lifts in the boots to give them a little extra height. We could always use more Jawa's though. Kids just love them! My son is one and always is a crowd favorite. Cheap costume too. Do what your heart tells you. Good luck deciding!
Neil " El Blanco Lando" Auer
TK3446