E-11 Blaster kit

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

marriott211
Garrison Captain of the Guard
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 21175

E-11 Blaster kit

Post by marriott211 »

I joined the forum last fall, but have only recently made the decision to pull the trigger and get started. I've put my name on the waiting list for a set of ATA armor, but I'll likely get the bucket ordered up before winter. I've also been looking at all the necessary pieces and parts needed to complete the set.

I've been focusing on the E-11 first, and found an intriguing kit on "that auction site" and wondered if it was worth purchasing. I won't post a link, but it's made by guy going by the name of blaster-master, and it's listed as a "Storm Trooper Uber E-11 Blaster Rifle Model Hero Kit ANH Screen Accurate Replica." In the description, it says it meets the 501st requirements for Level 2.

Any input on this as a legitimate blaster to carry?

Thanks!
Jim
Garrison Guard
IC/TI/TK-21175
ImageImageImage

Garrison Membership Liaison
501st Legion ID: 66598

Re: E-11 Blaster kit

Post by Avatar190 »

I bought this same kit, but have not completed my build yet. His video of his completed product looks really cool. The complete kit is about 70 parts, all 3D print, which require sanding to removed the layering from the print process...it's rather tedious for me (hence why I haven't finished the build). It also feels very lightweight, and I question it's durability. The customizable Hengstler counter also seems like it's going to be a pain to get painted nicely...but it you're a good painter, maybe it will be easy. Personally, I think it's going to be a cool blaster when it's completed, but I would worry about holstering it repeatedly during a troop...and I definitely wouldn't let a child hold it for pictures.

I think it's good for an alternative blaster, when you're in the mood for having the cool sound effects, bells and whistles. I would recommend picking up a Hyperfirm "B" grade or TIE Kai rubber model for your primary troop weapon. You can also go with one of the resin casts that are on Etsy among other places (which is where I got my first E-11).
We need no longer fear the banana.

marriott211
501st Legion ID: 21175

Post by marriott211 »

Avatar190 wrote:I bought this same kit, but have not completed my build yet. His video of his completed product looks really cool. The complete kit is about 70 parts, all 3D print, which require sanding to removed the layering from the print process...it's rather tedious for me (hence why I haven't finished the build). It also feels very lightweight, and I question it's durability. The customizable Hengstler counter also seems like it's going to be a pain to get painted nicely...but it you're a good painter, maybe it will be easy. Personally, I think it's going to be a cool blaster when it's completed, but I would worry about holstering it repeatedly during a troop...and I definitely wouldn't let a child hold it for pictures.

I think it's good for an alternative blaster, when you're in the mood for having the cool sound effects, bells and whistles. I would recommend picking up a Hyperfirm "B" grade or TIE Kai rubber model for your primary troop weapon. You can also go with one of the resin casts that are on Etsy among other places (which is where I got my first E-11).
Thanks for the info. I watched the videos, and was a little surprised at the design. Seems that several of the parts were keyed to fit, but many more were just butt joints. The barrels for example - why not put an internal lip to give the joint some support? For the cost, I think I'm going to look elsewhere. I've seen the Hyperfirm blasters, but what is the TIE Kai rubber model? I'm also looking at Doopydoos Hasbro E-11 conversion or maybe their full kit. I'll check Etsy - never looked there!
Garrison Guard
IC/TI/TK-21175
ImageImageImage

iam8114
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8114

Post by iam8114 »

I recently ordered a new kit on Etsy by thg props, its rubber so its durable, but its also hollow to allow for electronics and has a folding stock. I don't want to say too much about it until its in people's hands as the first pulls of the kit are being made now, but its really cool kit with promise.
James Norman
TK/TI-8114
Wedge Antilles - Outlaw 2

KaiserW
Imperial Recruit

Post by KaiserW »

Yeah, just saw that kit posted on WTF, very interested to see how it turns out
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he doesn't exist"

501st Legion ID: 66598

Post by Avatar190 »

I discussed some of this on FB already with KaiserW, but for the sake of continuity in this thread...

TIE Kai's E-11 blaster, I found out today, is not rubber, but PVC pipe and aluminum. It looks pretty sharp. And yes, the rubber E-11 is currently made by THGProps on Etsy (as posted on Walt's). The Etsy vendor I got my resin E-11 is QuestDesignCanada.

Also, I believe there is an out-of-stock issue currently with the Doopy kits, so there may be a wait before that is an option. That, and the Hasbro E-11 kits can get pricey on eBay.