TEOD Jodo Kast WIP

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 21273

Re: TEOD Jodo Kast WIP

Post by toolguy301 »

Thank you both for the kind words.

Some more progress. Decided to work on the belt some.

Used a vinyl spray paint on the ammo pouches to make them gray. Need to get the stitching done on the flaps.

Went with a brown girth belt from Dover.

Painted up the left & right belt accessories.

Chris Buetsch
Boba Fett (ROTJ) & Jodo Kast
BH-21273 MWG
MMC Nexu Clan Canon & Legend Brigades

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 51114

Post by Chills »

Looking great, Chris.

Hey, it was cool meeting trooping with you last weekend. Hope things went well at the ballgame.

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks, look forward to trooping with you again.

Been busy in the last week working on a number of things.

Got the armor prepped to begin painting.

Had to add some pieces to the cod piece to make it over lap with the kidney plate. Used some pieces from a face shield due to being the same thickness & just as flexible these were epoxied to the inside of the cod piece. The upper & lower sides were heated & formed to match the cod piece. Used some Bondo to blend & fill.

For the back plate I had to add about .750" to the section that the collar piece would be attached. Use some face shield pieces for this & epoxied them. Used Bondo to blend & fill this in.

Assembled the knee armor. Going with 4 darts on each knee. Had to fully assemble these. Used epoxy to hold everything together.

Everything else was trimmed & sanded. Then primed & painted a base silver.

Worked on the 3 belt grenades & pistol grenades epoxying them together. Did some filling & sanding prior to priming. Painted the belt grenades in a light gray/white/black mix with a base silver. The pistol grenades went with a darker grey, red, & purplish color. Trying to emulate the comic coloring.

Worked on the side arm. Went with a Pulce from MLS. Very nice cast & recommend it. Went with a 3D printed barrel piece. The MLS pulse comes in 3 pieces, 2 piece barrel & the main body. The barrel threads onto the body via a 5/8" thread. I cut this off & made & recess adding a 5/16" threaded piece to screw the new barrel on. Wanted this cause wanted the hollow barrel & designed this to place the pistol grenades in the end of the barrel. Did all the prep work & went with a paint scheme similar to ESB Boba Fett.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Did a 3D design of the Nemrod holster based off of various reference photos, made a version to be pepped or 3D printed. The pep version I eliminated some details to simplify things. Opted to go with the pep version on this build cause of some mods that will have to be made in order to mount the pistol grenades on the side. This is just the card stock shell at this time but will be gluing chip board on the inner surfaces to firm it up then resin coating it. Planning on covering this in vinyl.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Been working on a number of the small things.

Finished up the Gauntlet rocket, flame thrower nozzles, key pad, knee/gauntlet darts, jetpack stabilizer & beacon.

Tried my hand at some sewing. Finished up the ammo pouches & made up the belt the accessories are attached.

Finished up the holster adding some strapping to attach to the belt, strap to hold on the pistol grenades, & strap to hold the pistol in the holster. Went with a brown & did some washes to try & give it a leather look.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Got busy this weekend & got the armor painted. All was done with layering method. I had gone through the comic cells & made up templates for each piece & came up with a damage scheme that made sense. The symbol on the right chest plate was taken from the from cover of the comic with some liberties on the section that is covered. I made a stencil on frisket paper & spray painted this. Still need to do some misting & washes.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Chicagovader1975
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 2875

Post by Chicagovader1975 »

Wow very impressive Chris!!

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thank you Aaron, I am getting back into the zone.

The knee armor & the shoulder bells are now painted. This was done layered method like the rest of the armor. The skull for the left shoulder was painted on as well. Need to do some final weathering but the plan is to get all the armor pieces & gauntlets to that point so that I can work on that process at the same time. Right now I am in a painting mode, it is a little hot with some humidity but it has been dry so not perfect for painting but I will take it. Jetpack is next.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thank you, I can't wait to suit up. Getting closer.

It has been all about the jetpack this week getting it painted. Went with the monochromatic blue highlighted with the orange & red that is shown throughout the comic. The piano keys are going will be painted orange. Needs to be dirtied up yet.

Also got a box in the mail with a new set of boots. For those wondering if my toe spikes will fit the 2015 version of MOW boots, yes they will, but I am debating to go with toe spikes or not to go with toe spikes. I keep thinking that the toe just looks naked without them even though the cover of TEOD is the only place you see the spikes on Jodo.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Decided to finish up painting the helmet ears, install the visor, fans, & hard hat suspension. Need to finish some final weathering yet.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Chicagovader1975
MWG Member
MWG Member

Looks great!! What else do you have left to do on the costume?

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks Aaron.

Need to get the gauntlets painted & assembled, which I am working on that now, would like to get them painted by the end of the week. Then the entire assembly process & dirtying everything up, can't have a clean bounty hunter. Getting close.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Helmet isn't done painted, kill stripes slipped my mind.

Gauntlets are finally painted.

I tried this product from Smooth On: http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1429

To coat the outside of the gauntlets to smooth out the outer surface & give it a hard shell. I have to say this is a great product & gives a smooth hard epoxy surface. Very small details would be lost using this product from what I could tell. It is thick & self leveling. After it dried I smoothed the surface using steel wool & then put a coat of primer. After the first coat of primer I did wet sand & did some spot filling, but over all very little work. The inside I used a coat of Smooth On 320 to seal the nylon & help with some rigidity.

Now the final weather will be done on all the painted pieces, washes & mists.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

navycook2
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 3450

Post by navycook2 »

Wow i just came across this and WOOOWWWWWW!!! amazing work and you left me hanging on the edge of my seat as I want to see the final product!!! Looks stunning!!
Adam Skott
DZ-3450- Tusken Raider
TX-3450- Shadow Trooper
BH- (Non 501st) Custom Mandalorian

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thank you Adam for the kind words. I am getting close to being done.

Finished up the boots & have decided at this time to go without toe spikes. This is more representative of what is portrayed throughout the comic.

Finished up assembling the belts. Added the hoses & attached everything. Have a little bit of weathering to do yet.

The back of the girth belt I added 2 panels of faux suede to the front for support of the pouches & the section the grey belt goes over. These are sewed onto the girth belt.

For the holster I am going with a belt that will be hidden under the girth & grey belt. I don't have my Jodo armor quite ready to put on but was able to use my Boba cod piece & back plate to try everything on. The belt for the holster will sit just above the cod/back plate. The grey belt will pass through the strap on the holster & the girth belt will run behind it. This worked well with no sagging & felt very comfortable, which has been a concern of mine but with this set up I feel like it will work well.

The hoses are 1/4" O.D. with a piece of black insulated solid copper wire going through the center to give it a darker look & also allows for the hose to be bent & hold position. The connectors are a Watts push to connect plumbing connector.

The lone hose with the coupler will go to the rear of the left gauntlet with another coupler up near the short sleeve of the flight suit.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Finally completed Jodo Kast & suited up for photos.

I am using my ROTJ EE-3 right now but will be making a custom EE-3 that is more representative of the comic, just got some of the pieces this week.

Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Chicagovader1975
MWG Member
MWG Member

Turned out Fantastic!!! Hope I get to see it in Person soon :D

SL1950
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1950

Post by SL1950 »

Amazing craftsmanship! Well Done!!!

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks guys, will be trooping this quite a bit. Especially after the responses I got at the 2 troops this weekend, had way too much fun.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Well in order to complete this to my liking I have been waiting to get all the pieces to create a custom EE-3 close to what is in the comics with some creative interpretations. I got a kit from MLS as the base which is the Webley with a rifle stock instead of the "D" bracket. I decided to go about & design up the scope mounts to resemble what is in the comic & have the scope off center of the barrel. Made up a stock greeblie that is a mash up of pieces from the ESB Boba EE-3, which uses a portion of the center stock greeblie, 2/3 of a earth plug, & a portion of the connecting rod. Also designed up my interpretation of the breach greeblie disk with the connecting rod attached. These pieces were all 3D printed & the photos of how I received them from Shapeways. The bomb pieces from the ROTJ are cast from MLS that came with the Webley. The scope is a Simmons. The flash tube is a 1.5" diameter drain tube which will have slots put into it to make it more like the ESB EE-3. Photo with my ROTJ EE-3 to show comparison in size.

Paint up will be a wood grain look on the stock with the look of "Bluing" on the rest of the Webley breach & barrel. With a more metallic look on the scope rings.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG