TEOD Jodo Kast WIP

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 21273

TEOD Jodo Kast WIP

Post by toolguy301 »

As some of you know I broke my ankle last July which put an end to my trooping last year. My first thoughts were to just have a cast on for 6 weeks & I would be good to go, but the doctor had other plans. After having to have reconstructive surgery, was in a splint for 4 weeks lying on my back with my leg in the air, cast for 4 weeks, walking boot for 5 weeks but wasn't directed to walk on with it till 2 weeks after having this on, & throw in 12 weeks of rehab 2 times a week to learn how to walk & get mobility back. Needless to say a very depressing summer for me. Even through all that I still am walking with a slight limp due to the tendons & ligament not being fully healed but have to move forward with life. Well enough with that sad & depressing tale.

So while I was laying on my back with nothing better to do I decided to do a Jodo Kast costume. This seemed like a fun & challenging character to do & with nothing better to do began researching & planning. Taking a different approach to this than others have taken in the past, there will be a large number of these pieces 3D printed as well as fabricated. After I got the okay to be up & moving around I began designing most of the parts to be 3D printed. I am trying to make the pieces as close to the comic book reference "Twin Engines of Destruction", but using some creative liberties as well.
Did a complete 3D design of the jetpack & have created a pepakura file to build the body. Design this base on what I learned from my first jetpack build. I designed the rocket tip, beacon, & stabilizer based off the comic which would be specific to Jodo Kast. I have had all the other pieces thrusters, upper/lower fuel tank caps, rocket collar, & the rocket pieces already designed.
The pistol & throw grenades were designed in 3D per the comic references & will be 3D printed. The pistol grenade will fit on the end of the Pulce 40 that I designed. Which is a 4 piece design & is designed to have a seperate moving trigger. I decided to go with the Pulce 40 because this is consistent with Boba Fett & being similar era & in previous Jodo Kast costumes this has been used. Jodo seems to use a number of different blasters though out the comic. I will also be making a modified EE-3 based on the comic.
I got a miscast helmet from Darth Voorhees (TDH), to use. It had a messed up key slot area which I will cut out & replace with buttons that I had 3D printed along with the ears & the rangefinder assembly. The rangefinder is Jodo Kast specific & is designed to work with Jc27's (TDH) self contained light kit. I will be going with a kit with a white light.
Designing the gauntlets to be 3D printed which will be Jodo Kast specific based on the comic

The right gauntlet is similar to Boba Fetts, but has some differences. I added the extra rockets on the sides & the scoop around the darts. I went with a combination of the ESB & ROTJ whip cord housing because there is a reference showing details similar to both throughout the comic so why not make a hybrid.
The left gauntlet difference from Boba Fett is adding the 2 smaller rockets. I made them a little smaller than how they are shown in the comic to try & make it more realistic on the left gauntlet. I wanted to keep the main features intact with some simple mounts & not to make it too bulky.

Designed & had the left & right belt accessory pieces 3D printed.
Haven't decided on the route I am taking in regards to the armor & soft parts.

Started with fabricating the jetpack which I am building with the same process that was done with my Boba Fett jetpack, except with the added benefit of 3D printed pieces.
All the pieces were cut out. This tends to be one of the most grueling parts of the build. With this being a pepakura build there are tabs with all the I.D. numbers to help you put it together & line everything up.
After everything is cut out decided to start sorta in the middle in order to work my way out. The pep file is designed symmetrical so there is left & right side so makes it easy to put it together. There are bend lines printed on each piece that I am lightly scoring to help create the bend & am using various pliers to help do the bending of the tabs & pieces. I have found that using wood glue works well, easier to clean up than using super glue & less chance of sticking fingers together.
I built my Boba Fett jetpack in the same manner that I am going to build this using the card stock as an outer shell & using .060" thick chip board (architectural card board) for internal structure. Printing out a second set of pieces on plain paper, using these as templates for the chip board pieces that will be used on the inside.
This is mocked up with all of the 3D printed pieces. Still need to finish the structure & put the back piece on.
Chris Buetsch
Boba Fett (ROTJ) & Jodo Kast
BH-21273 MWG
MMC Nexu Clan Canon & Legend Brigades

Chills
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 51114

Re: TEOD Jodo Kast WIP

Post by Chills »

O M G!!! That is so cool! You have a 3D printer, and you are making your own pieces. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting pics of your progress.

Amazon put a 3D printer on my homepage the other day, which intrigued me. These things are coming down in price, and getting more user friendly. What is the consensus on the effect 3D printers will have on hobbies like costuming? Do you guys think they'll actually put a dent in the armorers' business?

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Chills, thanks for the kind words, but I don't have a 3D printer. I do all of my own design work & have the items printed through Shapeways. Prices are coming down on them but the hobby printers still have some limitations. The only limit with 3D printing is your imagination.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

scout.trooper
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 87589

Post by scout.trooper »

Wow, that's awesome! Are you using 123D Design to make the models or does Shapeways have their own program they use? I've used 123D Design before as well as Photoshop and Blender, but 123D Design is the easiest way I found to make designs automatically watertight with manifolds. Anyway, great job. Your hard work and research is going to make an awesome character!

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

I use a number of different CAD softwares. Primarily using Solidworks for my 3D designing, but also use Draftsight, Mastercam, Blender, Google Sketchup, & Metaseq. I have found that there is a use for each in its own way just adapt each to what I am doing.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Did some work on the helmet got the dent filled in and filled in the Boba specific damage. Leveled the areas the ears sit & got the mounting holes drilled for them. Cleared out the key slot area & installed the button panel. Getting ready for some primer.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Worked on finishing the inside of the jetppack before putting the back on. After putting all the chip board pieces that I wanted on the inside I began gluing pieces of card stock on all of the seams. I find this helps hold things in place & leaving gaps will allow the coating of resin to fill in those places which was done next. Used smooth cast 320 to coat the inside using a chip brush & some pouring to spread it around. I have found that this give a very strong & durable result & is very light weight.
Primed the helmet & block sanded it, but need to spot prime a couple of spots before paint but is pretty much ready for that stage. The 3D printed ears have a hex designed in them to fit an 8-32 nut which I epoxied in so that they could be attached to the helmet.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Received my cape from MLS (TDH), can't say enough for his communication & working with me on what I wanted. For doing something custom he got this done in quick order. Absolutely excellent. The cape is similar to the ESB Boba Fett cape. The stripe is the same color but went with a dark brown for the rest.
Getting close to completing the jetpack I have been mulling over the color scheme which is something that I have been pondering for a while. Haven't seen anyone do a paint scheme in the mono-color scheme that is shown throughout the comic so decided to come up with a scheme based on this with some artistic interpretations. Going with a medium blue body, with red caps on the fuel tanks, orange on the base of the rocket & the piano keys, & some gray & silver throughout. This will also be heavily weathered. My thinking is that it would be similar but different to the ESB Boba Fett jetpack as a comparison.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Been a bit, but have gotten the jetpack fully resin coated, filled with a coat of bondo & sanded, then a light coat of a spackle with a mixture of Elmers glue for some extra bond. Sanded this down to a pretty smooth finish. Will be adding some spot filler & brush on another light coat of resin over the entire outside of the pack to fill in voids & to seal the spackle. Then finish sanding & ready for primer. Will be getting the piano keys attached will probably use super glue. Getting things ready for painting when the weather finally warms up.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Rex Fett
Garrison CO
Garrison CO
501st Legion ID: 3499

Post by Rex Fett »

Chris, your work looks amazing. Keep it up brotha, you are an inspiration. :thumbs:
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I started yesterday.

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks Rex for the kind words, been working on your project as well & should have something done early next week.

Been working on getting the jetpack ready for paint. Did a layer of spackle mixed with elmers glue over the entire pack & sanded it to smooth out things Added the 3D printed piano keys, just used super glue to attach them to the body. Then I did another light coat of resin over the entire pack. Sanded this all smooth then it was time for primer. After the first coat of primer did some spot fills & wet sanded it to smooth it out. Ready for paint. Primed & smoothed the fuel tank tops & bottoms, rocket, collar, grate, & thrusters.

Got my light kit in for the rangefinder from Jc27 (TDH) yesterday. This one is white.

Also asked Major to make me a custom set of gloves which came in today. These are great gloves. I had him make a couple of slight changes to make it more Jodo specific. The top pads are more square near the knuckles & have a slight bevel with 3 stitches instead of the radius & the 4 on Boba Fett's gloves. I went with grey & will darken the tackle twill to a light grey. I based this off the few view in the comic.

Also have the 2 belt accessory panels & helmet ready for paint.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

The painting has begun. Jet pack, belt accessories, & helmet are all in a base coat of silver.

Received a box in the mail with my armor that I got from RKD (TDH). I had a special request to use his V1 knee armor & going with an inner & outer dart housing on each. This way I will have 4 darts on each knee. This is some great armor. Other than some trimming & sanding to get things to fit it shouldn't take long to be ready for paint. RKD was great to work with.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

BurningDragon
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 50488

Post by BurningDragon »

I love watching you work, Chris. It's amazing.
Who one truly is cannot be seen with the eye.

Boushh823
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 82371

Post by Boushh823 »

He really gets into the zone too! :D
Shannon Buetsch
BH-82371
Boushh823

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks Tyler. This is the result of 6 months of not being able to do anything & is in no way work for me but pure enjoyment & definitely in a zone.

Removed the shin pouches & dyed my MOW flight suit, spats, flak vest, & neck seal. Decided to dye it in 2 phases. First go was using a mix called driftwood which was a mix of black & yellow which gave a nice dirty undertone. Doesn't show well but you can see some of this coloring where the flash washed out the legs. This was allowed to air dry overnight & then went & dyed it to a dark pearl grey with a mix of black & let air dry. Not too dark but definitely a nice grey. I didn't want to go too dark so the I could get some nice weathering tones & will darken it with that. Did the same process with the flak vest & neck seal which came out a light grey which is washed out in the photos. There are plans to make this rather dirty as well.
Went with the tackle twill instead of the cotton, wanted there to be some difference between the vest & the flight suit material & wanted to mimic the look of Boba Fett. This will be darkened more with the weathering. Can tell the color difference between the vest coloring & the white tackle twill on the gloves.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Received a package in the mail today from Shapeways. A bunch of 3D printed items. Had my gauntlets, darts, rocket (missing nose piece wasn't in the box), dental expander, gauntlet & knee darts, MQ-1 calculator pad with separate buttons, flame thrower nozzles, belt & pistol grenades, cod & collar/back armor attachment blocks, & trigger/barrel for Pulce 40. The dental files I have had these are what I call my V.1 set cause they now have the #15 on them where these don't.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

FenrirKyramud
Imperial Recruit

Post by FenrirKyramud »

Been following this build on the Mercs forum. Just amazing.

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Been a while but have gotten the helmet painted but still need to finish with some fine weathering details. I made up some templates based off the various views of the helmet throughout the comic. Consistency is very lacking, so took a good stab at using all the various damage displayed. I didn't want too clean of a helmet, just don't feel it would look right.

Also worked on the ammo pouches. Making functional pouches. Used chip board to make a box & glued vinyl over the top. I will be spray dying the vinyl gray & will be adding the stitching in the flap.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Chicagovader1975
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 2875

Post by Chicagovader1975 »

Impressive! Damned Impressive! :D

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Most impressive Jodo build I've seen to date.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...