The Dark Lord of Hunger

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

hyperguyver2
Rebel Legion Member
4poziom.waw.pl

The Dark Lord of Hunger

Post by hyperguyver2 »

okay so it's official I am ready to attempt my turn to the dark side and I figure who better to start with the Dark Lord of hunger Darth Nihilus.however I am running into a snag. I am having a very difficult time finding the best material to make his cloak, skirts, and tunics. one thing I am noticing is a lot of volume and flow. I am aiming for the COTF version in I really want to do everything I can to exceed the CRLs so accuracy is very important on this endeavor.what I am wanting to know is what would be the best materials to make said robes, cloak and skirts?
Troopers don't die, they go to hell and regroup

FettMan22
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 71613

Re: The Dark Lord of Hunger

Post by FettMan22 »

Maybe check in with Tom Spanos(thecloneemperor on the boards i thonk) and see his thoughts since he is the resident EU expert and CO of the Flagship Eclipse detachment, and also check out the flagship eclipse forums if you haven't already.
Dylan Van Horn
DZ/IC/TI-71613
Nar Shaddaa Base
Jek Porkins-Outlaw Squadron
Tusken Raider

hyperguyver2
Rebel Legion Member

Post by hyperguyver2 »

already checked out flagship Eclipse boards regarding Nihilus. frankly I wasn't impressed a vast majority tend to do them out of some form of silk noil or other materials, but frankly the flow is just not quite what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to find somebody on here who has enough knowledge of sewing to be able to provide some insight as to what would actually give the flow that I needing to this particular build. As I said this is something that I want to strive for absolute perfection on. now granted that could probably drive me crazy in the process, but first class or half-ass and I don't want to half-ass any of this by scraping the bare minimum.
Troopers don't die, they go to hell and regroup

arklore70
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 19709

Post by arklore70 »

Hyperguyver2,

I would recommend hitting a few of the reenactment communities up.

Rusty at Soul of the Warrior might be able to help you out. http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/

He is also a member of the Carolina Garrison. He and his son just had their Stormtrooper impressions approved.

My best guess is that a light weight/tropical wool is going to be the fabric you are seeking.
r/
Mike
If not me...who?
If not now...when?

FenrirKyramud
Imperial Recruit

Post by FenrirKyramud »

My apologies for the necropost. But if you're still looking. My recommendation would be a heavy weight linen or linen blend (linen/cotton, linen/rayon). Linen has the weight, the flow and it breathes like no other fabric. I'll be using it for all my force user type costumes.