TM Hero Helmet build

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 71463

TM Hero Helmet build

Post by DarSec »

I got my TM Hero Helmet. WOO HOO!!! Got some pics that I want to post as a build thread but I cannot seem to get them to actually post to the board, only as an attachment. Can someone more tech savy than myself chime in and enlighten me? I tried copy paste but it doesn't work. As soon as I figure it all out I'll start posting so y'all can help me through this. Thanks in advance.
Darrell S

seekandstroy
Imperial Recruit

Re: TM Hero Helmet build

Post by seekandstroy »

Upload to Dropbox, then use the [img] tags around the direct link to the picture.
(Insert ID number - still a shiney)
Michael Erdelyi

Carbondale, IL
Chicago, IL (summer home)

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

bucket3.jpg
bucket2.jpg
bucket1.jpg
So here are the practice photos. More to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

The kit is awesome. I think it has everything I need. It's off to the craft and hdwr store to get some tools.
bucket4.jpg
bucket5.jpg
thanx to Seekandestroy for the pic tip!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Here are prelims of trimming. First pass at eyes. Let me know what you think. I think I need to open the eyes up a but but I don't want to go too far. The bubble lenses kinda roll around a little in the spaces, they don't sit flush or tight. Is this OK?
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

6.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Other eye done and first pass at teeth. I want the "twinkie" rounded look but I think I need a little more trimming. The ones on the right I think are better? Thoughts?
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
second pass at teeth, eyes worked on a little more. I think I'm done. may take a whack at assembly tomorrow. Taking any critiques.
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

More filing of teeth. I think I'm done for realz this time. Comments?

1.jpg
2.jpg
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

Making magnets finish friendly with blue masking tape. Gotta keep them separated. They don't play nicely with each other.

mags.jpg
Looking like a helmet now. Magnets and clamps for trial fitting. Doesn't go together seamlessly. Work to be done.

mrlowbrow.jpg
Gaps. Is this normal? It has barely enough material to fit together. I trimmed nothing from face and only precious little from back/cap.
ltear.jpg
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

Another gap pic from other side. Is this normal? Will ears cover this? Ears are hard enough to get right.

rtear.jpg
Overlap is sparse. Will this close and be covered by ear?
rtbtm.jpg
And this one?
ltbtm.jpg
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

So here's the big question. I may have to pop rivet the begeezers out if this to make it stay together. I've clamped and magneted it and it's awesome, but as long as it's covered up will it affect acceptance??
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

so here is the progress. looking like a helmet. i screwed it together with screws and washers the same size as the rivets so I can get some feedback before I do it for realz.
new1.jpg
new2.jpg
new3.jpg
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

new4.jpg
new5.jpg
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

There is precious little material to rivet to. It's kinda stresses. Is there a danger of this stressing, cracking and popping? It's 2mm material and pretty strong, but I am concerned about long term. I thought about taking a heat gun and standing about 10 feet away and getting closer about an inch a minute until it heated up enough to mold in this position but I'll probably just leave it alone. I'm sure the trim and ears will cover this well.

Thoughts?
new6.jpg
new7.jpg
Darrell S

johnnys
Imperial Recruit

Post by johnnys »

Darrell,
Great build...following this with a lot of interest. I'm hoping to build this winter. Love the pictures and thoughts. :thumbs:

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

Hey thanks!! You're the first to comment on this. I have made some minor adjustments since this post. I was seeing that people were viewing but I haven't got any comments. I will definitely keep posting as things progress. I should get my ATA box in a few months (been since April and there's a 7 month wait). I hope to have the helmet done by then so I can concentrate on the armor. Thanks again for the positive feedback!! I am also posting this on the FISD (whitearmor.net) in ANH builds under the similar name. Getting a lot of good hints and tips from TM himself as well as others. Thanks for following!
Darrell S

johnnys
Imperial Recruit

Post by johnnys »

Cool...I'll look for the thread over there...prolly a bit more traffic ;) I put an order in for boots via a suggestion on here, takes like 2 months. What's your plans on armor?

johnnys
Imperial Recruit

Post by johnnys »

Heya...could you post a link to the thread on FISD...couldn't find it

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/2 ... ild-82014/

Here's my link to the build over at FISD.

let me know if this works. I'm pretty much duplicating this build thread here. Helps to get hints and tips wherever you can!!
Darrell S

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by DarSec »

I thought up a different way to measure and cut my ears. I wanted to be a hotshot and get them right on one try. At least that was the plan.......

I got some thin aluminum pieces and cut them to size. I laid them onto the helmet where the ears would touch them, then put this on a piece of cardboard and traced the outline.

new1.jpg
new2.jpg
new3.jpg
Darrell S