ROTJ Boba Fett WIP

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

tk412
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 412

Re: ROTJ Boba Fett WIP

Post by tk412 »

That's awesome. Pretty cheap too for aluminum.

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 21273

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks Arturo, your Jango looks awesome. Need to get some paint on that ESB Boba Fett though.

Started coloring my MOW 2013 boots as most know they come all white. I used an acrylic fabric paint by Tulip called Soft Matte. Most fabric paints require a heat setting where these don't. Used Spideyfett's tutorial on TDH. For the light gray I had to mix black & white till I got what I was looking for & dilluted it with water. Did the wet on wet, definitely helps with soaking the painting into the fabric. Just like painting with water colors. The black was just straight black diluted to give it a more watery consistency. Onto weather them next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Buetsch
Boba Fett (ROTJ) & Jodo Kast
BH-21273 MWG
MMC Nexu Clan Canon & Legend Brigades

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Boots & boot spikes are all weathered. Need to get some screws to attach the boot plate & spikes, they are taped on for a mock up. The boot plates & spikes are the ones that are 3D printed. The boot plates & spikes I went with the MOM tour look. Added some yellow, purple, black, some scuffing of sand paper for the weathering. Not sure if they need to be darker because lighting changes the look of them. Over all pretty happy with the look of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Been working on my MOW flight suit. Have to say it has been an interesting endeaver dyeing fabric. Lots of experimenting went into getting what I wanted. As most know MOW flight suits come all white. Using RIT dye I mixed up a custom color of using RIT's formula for Silver Cloud (#186) with a little extra evening blue added & some pearl gray. Then bleached this down till it was a pale light blue rinsing & letting it dry. Then I made a strong batch of pearl gray with some black. When this was complete I just rinsed and dried. This gave me a blueish gray. Which with different lighting it brings out the blue. I wanted gray but I wanted to have that blue under tone.

I started the weathering process. Doing a wet on wet with acrylic fabric paints. Using a brush & a little bit with the air brush to mist with some scrubbing to blend in. Mixed up a charcoal color & a dark brown rust color. Need to darken the legs some more & need to work on the leg pouches some.

The flak vest needs some weathering, haven't done anything to that as of yet.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Did an upgrade to the left gauntlet. I had originally made my key pad from scratch it was passable but something I just haven't been happy with. So I designed & 3D printed a modified version of the Casio MQ-1 key pad that would fit my gauntlet due to it being a little bigger than actual size. This gives it a little more accurate look even though it is a little bigger. The width is correct but the depth is about 5/16" too long, but spaced out the keys to make it look right. I tried to get all the numbers & letters as close to how the MQ-1 key pad looks. Helped to have a real Casio MQ-1.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

woulf
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7345

Post by woulf »

:popcorn
A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.
George RR Martin

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

got my jetpack harness in today. I opted to try something & am rather pleased with the outcome. I modeled up the jetpack harness from the reference photos with some modification to allow for 3D printing. Need to do some light sanding & then going to give it a good metallic paint job. This is a super light weight alternative, weighing in at 5.5 oz. It has some flexibility but strong. Only the lower 3.5 inches of the frame is hollow. The rest is solid.

The rings are .250" diameter round.

I will be adding an 1/8" by 1/2" aluminum bar for the lower jetpack hooks to sit on. The frame was design for this so that it would be structurally sound.

The jetpack hooks that I will be using came from full metal fett.

Need to get the strapping ordered.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Painted up the jetpack harness & assembled it. Added an 1/8" by 1/2" aluminum bar for the lower jetpack hooks to attach. Have strapping ordered. Going to use 2" wide seat belt straping for the black & 1.5" wide white nylon strapping for the pieces that attach to the upper jetpack hooks. I have a U.S. Diver's belt buckle that I need to do some modification to being that it is not the exact one.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Did some testing to see how the harness would handle 20 pounds of weight so took 2-10 pound weights & rigged up some strapping similar to how the jetpack is connected. I used some 1.5" nylon webbing that I had on hand but this will be changed to 2" wide seat belt webbing. It handled the 20 pounds very well & I think this will work very well. I figured that the 20 pounds was over 3 times heavier than my pack so that was a good test. My pack weighs in at just under 6 pounds. Personally I wouldn't want to go trooping with 20 pounds on my back but was good for testing purposes.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Worked on my MOW ammo belt to make it look more weathered. Being faux leather I wiped it down with acetone to take the sheen off & then went to work on it with some leather stains & acrylic fabric paints. Really darkened it up & gave it some different tones. Used white acrylic fabric paint to create the white features & smudge it some to blend things in. After that was done went back over with some leather stain to tone it down. Did hit it with some sand paper to scuff it up some.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

I got my magnets & went to work to start mounting my armor. I went with a similar set up as to what RKD's tutorial but I did a little less on the magnet pull. For the chest armor, ab plate, & diamond I went with .500" diameter by .125" thick N52 Neodymium rare earth magnets. They are supposed to have an 8 pound pull. I epoxied 6 onto each of the chest plates, 6 on the ab plate & 2 on the diamond. I need to get a few pieces of metal strips to help the armor look a little better but pretty happy with how this worked. It would be tough to pull these off, but you can slide them around if you need to. For the shoulders I used .750" diameter by .125" thick N50 Neodymium rare earth magnets, these had a pull of 12 pounds. I used 3 on each shoulder. These are on there you have to almost have it vertical before they are close to coming off.

The magnets can be purchased in various pull strengths & grades. The higher the grade the more pull. That is why I went with a smaller size for the chest, ab plate, & diamond, N52 is the highest grade so even though it is smaller it has a good pull strength. Of course cost plays a factor with the grades as well. Spent a bit of time studying the different aspects of the various magnets.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Chicagovader1975
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 2875

Post by Chicagovader1975 »

Looks great! So full suit pic soon eh?

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks, yes I am getting close. I have a few things to finish painting, cod piece & back belt armor, & weathering on jetpack, collar & back armor. Then some final assembly things. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I decided to use magnets to hold my gauntlets together. I used .250" X .250" X 1.000" with a 13 pound pull rating. I used 3 pairs on each gauntlet. They would be tough to knock off, it is hard enough to pull them apart.

Also a photo of the back of the flak vest showing the magnets.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Did some work on my right gauntlet. Initially I was going to just leave out the 2 Alco switches like some of the reference photos & just have the 2 holes. But decided I needed to have the switches.

Need to do a little bit of weather on them still, they are just too shiny.

Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Well it finally started to warm up so I decided it was time to finally finish painting the cod piece & back plate. Using Rafal's templates & reference photos I applied all the damage by eye. This was the last major painting to do. I still have to do some final weathering on the back armor, collar, cod piece, back plate, & jetpack. But the weathering tends to go quickly.

Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

BLUERAM
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4265

Post by BLUERAM »

Everything looks awesome! :thumbs:

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Thanks getting close. Basically at the assembly stage.

Finished the weathering on my cod piece & back plate & went to work on the on attachment for the cod piece & back plate. I made the studs decorative on the cod piece, but if for some reason in the future I want to make them functional that is an option. The studs need a little bit of weathering & are the pieces that I had 3D printed. They have an 8-32 nut epoxied into the back & are screwed the cod piece. I made up a belt system to hold the back plate around my waist & the cod piece over laps the back plate & attaches with velcro. I made the belt set up after putting on the girth belt & ammo belt the weight of these caused the back plate to slide down. I didn't feel like this was very secure. This pulls the back plate tight against my back & is very secure & after the girth belt & ammo belt is put on it is hidden. The girth belt also helps hold the cod piece secure. Attached the "thong" strap to the back plate & the belt clasp with snaps. Used a 1" wide piece of elastic, but needs to be weathered.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

Been busy working on various attachments & other little details.

Attached the hoses to the right gauntlet. Used a brass fitting, tapping & epoxying them into the gauntlet in the 3 places. The hose is a .625" OD .375" ID. Let is sit in a bucket of coffee to yellow it so it looks weathered. Screwed all 3 of the tubes together where they are under the outer sleeve. Used a leather cord & elastic with a snap to attach to the long sleeve back behind my arm, which allows for some flexibility & keeps the tubes under the outer sleeve.

Sewed in hooks for my MOW neck seal.

Attached the collar armor to the flak vest using sew on snaps. The male part of the snap was epoxied to the collar armor.

Used the same type of sew on snaps to attach the knee armor. Used one on each side. Put a hole in each end of a 1" piece of elastic & put it over the male portion of the snap. They are very secure & the snaps allow the knee armor to swivel as you bend & the elastic piece pulls against the back of the knee, which is primarily just for looks. The elastic needs to be weathered.

Had a slight issue with my back armor plate, was a little long. Cut 2 inches off of the bottom to make it correct. Will be sanding this down & repainting. Did get studs mounted into the back armor plate to attach the collar piece. Does work well with the harness though, but need to make the correct slits in the flak vest for the jetpack straps & mounting bar.

Will hopefully have some pics in the next day or so with complete suit minus the jetpack. Need to finish weathering my jet pack & get the hooks mounted.

Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG

Chicagovader1975
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 2875

Post by Chicagovader1975 »

Woohoo looking real good! Won't be long till you can suit up!

toolguy301
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by toolguy301 »

I got everything together so that I could suit up, minus jetpack, for the first time. To see how everything would fit. I have some tweaks to do here & there.
Chris Buetsch
BH-21273 MWG