My ESB Boba Fett....So Far

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Tormental
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 12155

Re: My ESB Boba Fett....So Far

Post by Tormental »

What size grommet tools did you buy from amazon? Can you link me them when you get a chance. I went with Bobamaker because i really wanted a top of the line Boba. It was expensive, but i'm also looking at it as an investment. I've worked with snaps for my TK, so i'll probably go with that on the knees, cod and butt. Good luck on your build. It looks awesome.

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member
501st Legion ID: 542

Post by Mr Fett »

Tormental wrote:Still trying to figure how to connect the wookie braids, knee pads, butt and cod, cape and so on. I'm on the dented helmet everyday.
I was a Boba before The Dented Helmet even existed, and the first Boba in the MWG, back when it was 5 states. Everyone does their suit set up differently, so either follow the "screen accurate method" or do things to suit your own trooping needs.

A couple things I did on my suit that I knew weren't accurate, but helped me in trooping......the Collar and Backplate armor: I have never bolted the 2 together. Yes, it's screen accurate to do so, but in allowing the collar some free floating flexibility, I can move better while trooping without the collar trying to choke my adam's apple. I just have the little studs on the collar part and it just sits over the top of the backplate pieces when the suit is on. Yes, the 2 pieces separate when moving, but I have a greater range of motion with the blaster and so forth with it this way.

Wookie braids: Real suit - sewn on. My suit - A large safety pin mounted inside the vest and poking through just enough to run through the middle of the braids. Nobody sees it anyway.

Knees: I have the elastic strap around the back, but have contact cemented velcro to the knees of my jumpsuit to attach the armor to.

Butt and Cod: Never got the side studs to connect them together because it's hidden under the horse girth anyway. I just use velcro to connect the cod to butt. The accurate Boba-thong is glued inside the cod, and has velcro sewn to the other end, which I velcro to the butt armor when assembling it at a troop.

My chest and shoulder armor is connected to my vest by industrial sticky back velcro backed with contact cement on the vest, and opposing velcro inside the armor. Been connected this way since 1999 and have never had a piece fall off.

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

To MrFett you listen. Much experience has he.

Tormental
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Tormental »

Thank You Mr. Fett. I will probably be harassing you when i get all my pieces together. I spoke to a couple of other Fetts. All they seem to have different ways of assembling. I'm looking so i have comfort and nothing just falls off during trooping because of shoddy work I did.

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 52610

Post by MusicalJedi »

Mr. Fett...thanks for posting in here! That is great info!

Here are the grommets that I used from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Hodge-1073A- ... ommet+tool

Tormental
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Tormental »

Thanks musicalJedi. I just ordered the grommet kit. I'm getting anxious for my stuff. My Helmet and jet pack are supposed to arrive in May. The rest of my stuff should be here by October. Thanks again Mr. Fett for your help. I'm always ready to get knowledge from a long time garrison member.

TS826
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 826

Post by TS826 »

Butt and Cod: Never got the side studs to connect them together...
Uh Oh.
We might have to remove that costume from the list.
I know I'm 14 years late but rules are rules.

:P

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Mr Fett »

You really need me to go attach a stud on the sides of the waist armor under the horse girth now, Damian? :lol: :P

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by MusicalJedi »

Haven't got any more work done, but did pick these up at Pep Boys yesterday and had to share.

Fairly comfortable and they look great. Going to put them in my future Star Wars themed collection/media room.

ImageImage

Mr Fett
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Mr Fett »

Those are cool ! :D

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by MusicalJedi »

Mr Fett wrote:Those are cool ! :D
Thanks!

The end of the school year has unfortunately not allowed me anytime to work on my costume. Between work, yard work and planning my sons Star Wars themed 3rd birthday party, I haven't gotten anything new accomplished. I have received my boots , sidearm holster and girth belt, but it will be probably early June when I can get back to it.

Tormental
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by Tormental »

Keep us posted.

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by MusicalJedi »

Finally ready to get back to work on this thing. Been a busy summer thus far, but I finally have some time to set aside for Boba. I started painting up my MoW boots this evening. Have the base coat on; am going to work on the soles/weathering tomorrow after this dries a bit.

Also, got my aluminum cod/kidney and collar/back armor studs installed.

Finally I have my sidearm and holster primed and getting ready to add some weathering to my gloves.

Still need to add straps to my jetpack harness, hooks to my jetpack, purchase a flightsuit and pouches, add straps to my girth belt, and some other odds and ends. Going to hold off on getting a EE-3 blaster for now, but would like to get one eventually when I have the $$$. I ordered a flexible mannequin that I'm looking forward to using to display all of this once complete.

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

Awesome progress so far! Where'd you get the EE-3 from? That's pretty wicked!

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by MusicalJedi »

Arcturus1020 wrote:Awesome progress so far! Where'd you get the EE-3 from? That's pretty wicked!
Thanks! The blaster/holster pictured above is the sidearm/holster and was purchased from a seller on www.thedentedhelmet.com in the Cargo Hold section. I don't have an EE-3 yet unfortunately but hope to add one soon.

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by MusicalJedi »

Made some more progress over the past few days.

Got the holster painted up and the straps attached.

Also received my mannequin in the mail yesterday, so had to get my armor in it's current state put on it. The jumpsuit is a Ghostbusters place filler until I get an ESB-style Boba one. I was a little nervous about it tipping over, so I put a screw into a stud behind it and several wraps of picture frame wire around the screw and the mannequin to hopefully insure it doesn't tip. Still working on painting up my boots, hence why he is shoeless.

I need to pose him a bit more, but just happy to have it displayed somewhat.

Oh and not really costume related, but my wife got me this for Father's Day this year.

Hopefully I'll have more to update later this week. Happy 4th of July!

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by MusicalJedi »

Got some more done on the sidearm.

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by MusicalJedi »

Nothing major to post, but did put the boots on the mannequin. Boots could probably use some more weathering and definitely need toe-spikes.

Sands
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 1590

Post by Sands »

Love all your toys! Great job on the costume. :thumbs:

MusicalJedi
MWG Member
MWG Member