ATA TK armor build

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 4034

ATA TK armor build

Post by gazmosis »

After a terrible "wardrobe malfunction during the 2011 Thanksgiving Day Parade, my current armor decided for me, that it was time to replace it with a fantastic kit from ATA. My current armor was a set that was recast from a very popular and accurate set of molds from a maker known as TE2. The plastic, although accurate, is very thin and getting more brittle everyday. This armor (bought from Ebay...seller was "Maker of Things) is good for display and nothing else as I so horribly found out by the rear kidney plate splitting from top to bottom.
ATA is also derived from these molds but is done in durable ABS. Although thicker, it hasn't seemed to lose any detail.
The kit came with all armor parts. It also came with enough extra ABS to make all connecting and cover strips. Unlike FX armor which is assembled with overlapping joints on the thighs, shins, biceps, and forearms, ATA, and all other film accurate armor, is butt joined together. The a cover/finishing strip covers the seam. The kit also comes with enough plastic to make all snap plates used to connect strapping that holds the set together on your body. The helmet usually comes with all parts, hardware, hovi mic tips(or aerators) and accurate rubber trim to assemble it. It does not come with decals. These are readilly available, though. I have all I need to assemble my helmet from previous builds and I will be hand painting all my details.
The photobucket page I attached has each picture numbered in order. I also wrote a description of what went on in each photo as the picture may not totally explain it. I will be posting more pics as my build continues.
Enjoy.
http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy35 ... or%202012/
Last edited by gazmosis on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Re: ATA TK armor build

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

A-T-A!

I LOVE THIS ARMOR.

Keep us updated, and I am curious to see the ABS version in person sometime Gaz. If you have questions on how to line up parts, lemme know.
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 265

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

I just started to trim all the pieces on my white ABS ATA Armor and thanks to Gaza I'm going to use his photos to complete my kit.

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by gazmosis »

New pics just posted on the link.

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by gazmosis »

I want to say I am sorry to everyone who looked at the link and got frustrated by the pictures out of order. I finally figures it out and the page and its pics are now organized. :thumbs:

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by gazmosis »

Final pics added. Thanks to all who followed the build. I hope it helped in some way!!!

DarSec
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 71463

Post by DarSec »

This is THE most amazing TK build photo record I have ever seen!! I now have tons of tips and tricks when I start my build this fall. I esp loved the holster snapped to the armor trick with the dummy rivets to make it ook like it's on the belt. Very clever!!! Some of the critical and key pics were tiny and I didn't get all I needed for the cheesecloth, padding, mic and tips step. Any way to get these? You are a master builder and thanks for the build!!!
Darrell S

G-MAN45
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 10045

Post by G-MAN45 »

Awesome work! I am currently on his waiting list. I might have to contact you when it arrives for tips.

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

Hello G-Man45! What PD do you work for? I'm a Joliet Police Sergeant.

G-MAN45
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by G-MAN45 »

I work for Countryside. I met you at the Cougars game in May

SHEEPDOG54
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by SHEEPDOG54 »

Oh snap! That's Right! Welcome again brother! SO you are building an ATA Suit now! Good to go!

G-MAN45
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by G-MAN45 »

Just received my ATA armor! Looks like I have a daunting task ahead of me. Anyone have tips on starting off and trimming? I don't want to mess up the trimming/sanding.