How do i get started

Tips and tricks for Star Wars-related costumes and props. Armor builds and other SW costuming questions and answers.

Moderator: Garrison Officers

Divarin
Imperial Recruit
4poziom.waw.pl

How do i get started

Post by Divarin »

Hey guys, divarin of windy city jedi here. I was wondering about the armor for the uppers arms and where/ what resources i need to maybe at least make my own. I would prefer to buy a set, but any help with making it my own would be greatly appreciated. :)

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Upper armor of what kind? Clone? TK? TX? RC?
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...

Divarin
Imperial Recruit

Post by Divarin »

Something similar to what obi wan is wearing on his arms in the clone wars series.

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

Hey Div',
I don't personally know of a place to get that armor, though I'm sure you're not the first person interested in it, and I'd be surprised if someone hasn't blazed that trail ahead of you.

I think your best bet would be checking out the Clone Trooper Detatchment of the 501st at http://clonetroopers.net/
From what I recall off the top of my head, Obi-Wan's forearms at least seem like they're part of the animated clone armor.

Another option would be to contact the Jedi Assembly (sister organization of the 501st and the Rebel Legion) at http://www.thejediassembly.com/ and see if they have any leads.

It would actually be great to see some of the Windy City Jedi raise their costumes up to the standards that the rest of the Star Wars costuming community holds. We take great pride in the quality of what we wear, and if the WCJ ever showed up in movie-quality robes, then y'all would definitely be a force to be reckoned with! (No pun intended!)

Good luck!
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

Divarin
Imperial Recruit

Post by Divarin »

LOL good one and thanks for the help.

A few members, (including myself) have costumes pretty well set. My outfit came from what i learned in martial arts an such of the like to make a cool but yet easy to move in costume. Some of the other members, yes i agree they need to raise it up a few notches.

My only fear is with what we do is the costume interfering with the choreograph scenes themselves ( I learned this from my converstions with members of the NY Jedi, geart bunch of guys. :) )

But i will say this your guys outfits rock, i cant say anything more. I can tell where all into this deeply with the amount of detail both WJC and 501 st put in even though where kinda in the opposite spectrum of each other.

but hopefully the next time you at least see me and my wife she will have the arm armor and i will have my leather chest armor with added bits to make it look like a evo suit piece :)

I can say his much, come June 12 where going to rock everyone's world at the baseball stadium :)

crix
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4913

Post by crix »

defyitall (Christian Evans) on Rebel Legion boards sells Anakin and Obi wan armor..

I am a member of the rebel Legion and Jedi Assembly
I dont remember seeing any armor at the Jedi assembly

I belive you have to be a member of the Rebel legion to see the for sale threads..
but you might be able to PM him..

heres a pic of him in his armor

Fleetfang
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 8968

Post by Fleetfang »

That's pretty freakin sweet, Crix! Thanks for the corrections.
...no armor on the Assembly boards? That just seems weird. They're jedi, right?? ;)
Brian Troyan __________________________ Fleetfang
TB-8968/TK-8968/IG-8968/BH-8968/ID-8968/DZ-8968
501st Legion Public Relations Officer (2012-2017)
Midwest Garrison Commanding Officer (2013-2017)
"Think of the solution, not the problem."

crix
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by crix »

Fleetfang wrote:That's pretty freakin sweet, Crix! Thanks for the corrections.
...no armor on the Assembly boards? That just seems weird. They're jedi, right?? ;)

to be honest..I am not sure if they allow it or not..
they are very strict on costumes..
only earth tone colors and NO BLACK at all. unless you are portraing a cetain charater that has black :lol:
has to be one of the named charater and prove he has black on..

I'll look into if they accept armor

crix
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by crix »

I found this at the Jedi Assembly:

"TJA is in the beginning stages of accepting Jedi General armor on a case-by-case basis. For our purposes, Jedi General armor MUST be PVC/ABS/fiberglass.

It seems minor Jedi characters in The Clone Wars have lower arm armor only. A few have full arm. The main 2 -- Anakin and Obi-wan -- have collar/torso, full arm and lower leg. We will accept these and combinations of these.

NO Jedi has been shown in full armor like obi-wan did in the micro series, so that is reserved for an Obi-Wan face character. "

BrianJGibbs
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by BrianJGibbs »

I know this is a little late but I do remember a guy from the Clone Trooper Detachment who was gonna start pulling Obi Wan stile chest armor.

psykojedi7956
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 7956

Post by psykojedi7956 »

Try using PVC tubing that is big enough to go around your upper arms and cut to shape. It is better to go too big and add foam inside to keep it on. May not be perfect, but a good start (and probably safer for dueling as it won't crack as easily or is cheaper to replace if it does).