Moderator: Garrison Officers

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 9989

IL-Bartlett-Independence Day Parade-July 2, 2006

Post by TKvanB »

Yesterday, July 2nd 2006, the Members of the Midwest Garrison marched in the Bartlett, Illinois Independence Day parade for the forth year in a row!

Approximately 4 dozen Members of the Midwest Garrison, along with our friends from the local Rebel Legion and our own families marched in costume on the over 4 mile long parade route through Bartlett, IL. Our members passed out over 2,000 bags of marshmallows (donated by *Doumak Inc. ) to children along the route.

This year's Midwest Garrison entry in the parade featured a float created and built by our members. Darth Vader and a couple of his trusty Imperial friends, a Tie pilot, stormtrooper and a Royal Guard rode on the float along with most of the costumed children. Our group also included 3 trucks. One that played several hours worth of Star Wars marching music, one to carry all of the marshmallows and tow the float, and the last one to carry more marshmallows and stuff.

We were a HUGE hit at the parade again this year!

I was marching in front for most of the parade and I heard so many children exclaim, "Look! It's Darth Vader!!" when they caught site of the Dark Lord of the Sith waving to all his fans from his float. It was almost like Vader was Santa Claus!

When we finally reached the end of the parade route, we (eventually) suited down and settled down for a FANTASTIC picnic & cook-out.

This was a fantastic event!

Here are a FEW pictures. (more will be coming)

These 3 particular pictures were taken by one of our Members, Jessi Tampa TI3228.

Check out the chalk letters someone wrote on the pavement --- "Got Fun?" I also like the "deer crossing" yellow caution sign on the street.

This is the truck and float with Vader & his crew.

I got a little patriotic spirit too and attached a U.S. flag to the barrel of my blaster rifle & I wore my patriotic version of the custom Midwest Garrison pauldron. :lol:
Nothing says "Independence Day" & "Freedom" like an Imperial stormtrooper with a little American flag........
:roll: :wink:

Looking at these photos, you ca't really tell how many folks we had on hand for this parade, because we were all spread out around the 3 trucks and the float. I am still working on our final attendance list, but it is some where around 4 dozen!

Here are some more photos that Jessi took of the parade (Got Fun?): BARTLETT PARADE, 2006

And here are some more photos from Jim De Jan TI3853: More Bartlett parade Photos

(More photos coming)

IL - Barttlett, IL - Independance Day Parade Sun July 2 06 Link to event planning thread.

Participants:

Tom Schaefer TK118 - Stormtrooper
(child) Austin Schaefer - Mini trooper
Jim De Jan TI3853 - TIE pilot / Driver
Em De Jan TI3853 - TIE pilot / Driver
Greg Fisher TI_____ - Tie Pilot
Joan Fisher -
Aimee Jorgensen - TB0101 Tusken
(child) Darcy Jorgensen - EP II Clone Youth
(child) Gabby Jorgensen - ANH Leia
Kevin _______ Protokev TK_____ - Stormtrooper
Rich Markle SL1781 - Darth Vader
(child) Conner Markle - ROTJ Luke
Cheryl Whitaker (Rebel Legion/JA) - Jedi
(child) Cheryl's Neice - Mini Leia
Andrew Marsh BH2079 - "Jingle" Fett
Bob Marsh - stormtrooper
Mark Berry TK____ - stormtrooper
Belinda - Imperial Officer (New recruit)
Phyllis Shulte ID1951 - Jedi
Kathy van Beuningen TK9989 - Stormtrooper
(child) Quincy Newkirk MWG Cheerleader
Gina Martino ID____ - Bespin Leia
Kevin ( ______ ) BH1180 - Boba Fett
Jim Tampa TB1020 - Bikerscout
Jessie Tampa TI3228 - camera
John Fitzsimmons TK6442 - Stormtrooper
Deidra Culp (Rebel Legion) - EP I Queen Amidalla Parade
Joe Hella - (Rebel Legion) - Jedi
Dan Geise TK6254 - Stormtrooper
Kevin Lehning TK669 - driver
Amanda Lehning - Royal Guard
David Foust TK2460 - Stormtrooper
Joseph Flores TI1296 - TIE Pilot
(child) Alex Flores - mini Mara Jade
Jerry Budde TK0084 - Tusken Raider
Chris Rhaods - TD____ - sandtrooper

Trent Thornton TK585 - camera
Beth Johnson TB5852 - marshmallow distributor
Bobby Brinegar TK1164 - camp sitter

and several more!

*Doumak Inc. Makers of Campfire, Fireside, Rocky Mountain and about 70 other brands of marshmallow.
Last edited by TKvanB on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

Here are a few great photos taken by TK585, Trent Thornton:

BH1180, Kevin Robinson of Valparaiso, IN greets some scouts

Troopers on the street.

This year, our Vader, Rich Markle SL1781 of Valparaiso, Indiana rode on the float!

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

...and the group shots:

Buckets on!

Buckets off!

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

Some fun shots of some of the kids:

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

.......in hyperspace:

Bantha Tracks: Fans On Parade (link)
July 11, 2006
http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/memb ... dexp2.html

The article includes:

2 nice group pictures from the Normal, IL Relay for Life event (June 23 & 24, 2006) (one of the group holding the banner, the other with our Members on the track)
Members of the Midwest Garrison participated in the Relay for Life 24-hour walk, calling themselves the "Imperial Walkers." Walking an incredible 24 hours in armor and costumes, often in memory of loved ones who had succumbed to cancer, the team helped raise money for cancer research while their costumes raised the spirits of fellow walkers. Photos submitted by Barry Benecke.
2 Nice group pictures from the Bartlett, IL Independence Day parade (July 2, 2006)
"This year's Midwest Garrison entry in the Bartlett parade featured a float created and built by our members," writes van Beuningen. "Our group also included three trucks: one that played several hours worth of Star Wars marching music; one to carry all of the marshmallows that we passed out to children along the way and tow the float; and the last one to carry more marshmallows." Midwest Garrison photos by Jessi Tampa.
"Approximately four dozen members of the Midwest Garrison, along with our friends from the local Rebel Legion and our own families, marched in costume on the over four-mile long parade route through Bartlett, IL," reports Kathy van Beuningen, Commanding Officer for the Midwest Garrison. The group added Imperial color to the Bartlett Independence Day parade for the fourth year in a row.
.....and a few other parade events from all over. :wink:

......and the Bantha Tracks "Get in Tracks" teaser picture on the front page and in the "Get in Tracks" page is also from the Relay for Life event in Normal and includes Kevin E Kemarly TK-3290 and Ryan Summers TK-2429.
Troopers, part of the "Imperial Walkers," enjoy a few moments with "buckets off" during the 24-hour Relay for Life fundraiser to benefit cancer research. Photo submitted by Barry Benecke.

dustrho
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Post by dustrho »

You can't even see me in that Bartlett parade shot, but I guess that's better than seeing my holding my thigh piece up (since the darn strap broke on me). :D

It's still cool seeing us all the official site though.
Chris Rhoads (aka dustrho / TD1043)
Forum Admin / Webmaster at Sandtroopers.com

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member

Post by TKvanB »

I was looking through our Garrison's mission reports and found entries for ALL of our adventures at the Bartlett Independence Day parades. This is pretty cool! 2006