Moderator: Garrison Officers

bobafrettTK523
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 523

IL-Normal-Relay for Life, June 22 - 23, 2007

Post by bobafrettTK523 »

The following MWG members attended the Normal Illinois American Cancer Societys "Relay for Life" event June 22nd and 23rd.

Jeremy Wilcox TK7503 Stormtrooper
Chip Childress TK9965 Vader
Mark Berry BH4265 Boba Fett
Robert Sipes TK3033 stormtrooper/biker scout
Ryan Summers TK2429 stormtrooper
Barry Benecke TK523 stormtrooper/tusken raider
Kent Heath TK1692 stormtrooper/imperial officer

It was Team Imperial Walkers third year at the ACS Relay for life, with many returning members and a few new ones as well. The troops spent time over the previous 2 to 3 months raising money for the American Cancer Society by e-mail, mailing to friends and family, contacting fellow workers, and other means.

The troops assembled around noon on the 22nd for what was supposed to be a 24 hour Relay. We set up camp, got our donations turned into accounting, dropped off items to the silent auction, and made our way to the "Relay" track. The silent auction is another way for teams to raise money for cancer research. You can bring items that other folks bid on throughout the first day, then around 8 p.m. We were called in to put a costumed halt to all bidders. The person with the highest bid pays for there items and the ACS benefits, and the team who has the items up for bid, gets credited.

The Relay also had many themed laps. We even had our own Star Wars lap this year!! Because the theme of the event this year was "Lights, Camera, Action" many of the Spirit laps were along the lines of Hollywood, like FRIDAY Blues Brothers Lap 1pm, Disney Lap 3pm, Wizard of Oz lap 4pm, and our very own STAR WARS LAP 5pm, were other team members were invited to walk the track with the Team Imperial Walkers! Quite an honor I must say!

Around 9:30 the lights were turned off around the track, and around 3,000 Luminara bags lined both sides lighting the track during a very touching ceremony to honor those who lost the battle with cancer, and those who are still fighting.

Around 11:30 pm, they hold a "Relay Idol". You get to pay $5.00 to go up and sing Karoke style, then anyone who listens can pay $1.00 to vote for you if they find your efforts worthy. Unfortunatly, just prior to regestration for this, we were notified that a large Thunderstorm was about a half hour out, and they were closing down the "Relay" for the night. Campers were allowed to return the next morning, But this is one who didn't make it back. I got engaged at the Imperial Walkers campsite, and decided to drive the 2 and 1/2 hours back home.

Overall Team Imperial Walkers raised over $2,533.00 for ACS. I say "over" because not all donations were accounted for online. I know several troopers made last minute efforts to raise money, not reflected on the teams site http://www.acsevents.org/faf/search/sea ... 6&tlteam=0

I am also hoping to get matching grants from my employer for at least $1,000.00
"Open the blast doors, Open the Blast doors!"

bobafrettTK523
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 523

Post by bobafrettTK523 »

I should add that Chip dressed as Vader, and got a lot of attention as Vaders always do. He was a hit, and I was glad to finally have a Vader at the relay!!! Now we didn't get the question "Where is Darth Vader at?"
"Open the blast doors, Open the Blast doors!"

TB 0101
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 101

Post by TB 0101 »

Wonderful write up, Barry! Thank you!

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9989

Post by TKvanB »

:thumbs: AWESOME :thumbs:
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.