Moderator: Garrison Officers

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 1951

IL-Ottawa-30th Anniv Celebration and YMCA Fundraiser 6-16-07

Post by Schph Gochi »

I was contacted months ago and asked for 501st participation in a few events down in Ottawa IL. The 30th Anniversary Celebration was the last of the events and was a lot of fun despite the above 90 degree temps and no air conditioning at the Ottawa YMCA gym that was used.

The event organizer had come up with a wide variety of games for adults and children including a costume contest, lego building contest, and trivia contest. He also had various games throughout the venue and a raffle of items to benefit the swim team.

He had asked for us to come in costume and add atmosphere and interact with the attendees.

He had another unusual request that fortunately, as a Jedi costumer, I was able to fulfill. He wanted us to conduct Jedi lightsaber training for the Padawans. Thankfully, I had my own former Padawan Whinter Fenlynn (now TI3127) on board and her and I conducted 3 sessions of lightsaber training to the kids. We only had 15 minutes per session so I had to be brief. The kids and parents seem to really enjoy the "training".

Our other member Augie in Fett and new Rebel Legion Member Ken Skoglund (Ben Kenobi), and new Vader applicant Tim Lyle wandered the crowd and had a great time with participants.

Our stalwart Tie Pilots Jim and Emily DeJan were on hand passing out information and also applying temporary tattoos to all the kids. Jim also had part of his Tie costume on display.

All in all...even with the heat...a good time was had by all. I have not gotten any figures on the funds raised...but our members helped with that also. Augie and Federation Toys donated some action figures and Cheryl and I made a pretty complete child's Jedi costume. Cheryl made the belt and donated the pouch and food capsules and I sewed the outer tunic, inner "cheater" undertunic, tabards and sash.

The family that won the Jedi costume was over the top excited and had 3 boys and a girl that the costume could be passed on to.

A massive thanks to our participants....it was certainly a group effort:

1802 Emily - support
1951 me - Jedi (MWG/RL/TJA)
3127 Cheryl (MWG/RL/TJA
3853 Jim - Tie Pilot
9397 Augie - Fett (MWG/RL)

We were also joined by:
Tim Lyle as Vader (currently has applied to the 501st)
and
Kevin as Ben Kenobi (currently applying for both the RL and TJA)
Skip was Palpatine...I didn't get any photos of Skip...but...at age 72...the heat was getting to him...Cheryl and Jim did capture our Emperor!

My photos:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/ ... 2404534607

Jim's photos:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/M ... ne%202007/

Cheryl's photos:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x273 ... wa%20YMCA/

End transmission....

TKvanB
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9989

Post by TKvanB »

WOW :shock: you all took a lot of great pictures!

How cool!

Why is Boba Fett shooting that clone?? :o :lol:
The Midwest Garrison, proudly serving the 501st Legion since 1999.

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

TKvanB wrote:
Why is Boba Fett shooting that clone?? :o :lol:
A bounty is a bounty.... :D

Whinter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3127