Whinter
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 3127

IL - Rolling Meadows - MSABC DONATION STATION 10/3/09

Post by Whinter »

EVENT: Donation Station for the MSABC Walk in Aurora, IL

DATE: Saturday, October 3, 2009 (11:00 – 3:00pm)

WHERE: Sam’s Club in Rolling Meadows, IL

EVENT COORDINATOR: Cheryl “Whinter” Whitaker (TI/TB-3127)

This will be the 4th year our group is participating in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in Aurora, IL. This year it will be on Sunday, October 18th at the Premium Outlet Mall in Aurora, IL. We’ve always been strong in our donations but this year we decided to see what else we could do to fundraise for the “501st Legion & Rebel Legion United” Team.

Phyllis “Schph Gochi” Schulte (ID/TK-1951), our Team Captain, came up with the fantastic idea of finding a commercial location to host a MSABC Donation Station in her South-suburban hometown of Mokena. She and several troopers are going to have their fundraiser on Sunday, October 11th. Well, I live in the NW suburbs, so I thought I’d see if we could find a location to set up another Donation Station closer to me for some of the “northern” troopers. I was very happy to be able to find a location for us at the local Sam’s Club in Rolling Meadows, IL.

I showed up early to sign the paperwork and found CC-3166 (River) already there, ready to start setting things up. It wasn’t long after that when TI-7118 (Vicki) showed up, followed shortly by everyone else. Once we finished setting up our station, we suited up and got ready for a day of fundraising, pictures with fans and chatting with people about breast cancer and how they had been affected by this terrible disease. Some stories were heartwarming and others were tragic. SO MANY PEOPLE have been, and unfortunately will be, affected by breast cancer. That’s why this is so important.

Phyllis has also added another special touch over the past several years for the Aurora, IL MSABC walk. She has made customized pink team armbands for all the 501st and Rebel Legion participants to wear during the parade. The armbands include the Team name, donator’s name and either “In Memory of” or “In Honor of” the family member or friend diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

But Phyllis’s kindness doesn’t stop there. She has also made these customized pink team armbands for people that have donated $20 or more to our MSABC Team; and this year is no different. This year she has already made 51 armbands, including some for a couple of people that donated $20 or more at our Donation Station on October 3rd at Sam’s Club. Phyllis makes these armbands simply out of the kindness of her heart. Every cent donated goes directly to the American Cancer Society.

And what is done with these special armbands that are made, you may ask? They will each be worn by one of the costumed team members during the October 18th walk, photographed with the member and then mailed to the donator afterwards, along with a certificate and the photos that were taken during the event.

The end result of our 4-hour MSABC Donation Station on October 3rd was $195.00 towards the “501st Legion and Rebel Legion United” Team! What a great day! I can only hope that Phyllis’s donation station in Mokena on October 11th goes as well, or even better, than ours did! Good luck, Troops!!

If you would like to make a donation to the “501st Legion and Rebel Legion United” Team, please click on the link provided below! YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/Makin ... r_id=19898

A HUGE “THANK YOU” to all the Troopers that came out for this event!

TI-7118 Vicki “Shetan” Silva (TIE Pilot)
CC-3166 Joe “River” Rivera (Captain Rex)
TB-3127 Cheryl “Whinter” Whitaker (Biker Scout)
TD-1590 Jason Sands (photographer & costume support)
TK-4013 Morgan Easley (Sandtrooper)

PICTURE LINKS:

Jason Sands:

http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... ?start=all

Vicki Silva:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edlitmus/s ... 390888525/