Moderator: Garrison Officers

Dirty Scout
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 1692

IL-Peoria-Autism Walk 9-19-2009

Post by Dirty Scout »

It was a beautiful Saturday morning as members of the Midwest Garrison invaded the Peoria Riverplex to participate in the 3rd Annual Peoria Autism Run/Walk. The walk was sponsored by the Peoria Regional Chapter of the Autism Society of America.

The goal of the Peoria Regional Chapter is to provide and raise awareness about Autism in the Tri-County Area of Central Illinois, help families, and professionals with meeting the needs of ASD children and adults. The event helps fund family support activities, mini-grants to classrooms, and scholarships to families who cannot pay for needed services.

Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three years of life and affects a person’s ability to communicate and interact with others. Autism is defined by a certain set of behaviors and is a "spectrum disorder" that affects individuals differently and to varying degrees. There is no known single cause for autism, but increased awareness and funding can help families today.

In February 2007, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued their ADDM autism prevalence report. The report concluded that the prevalence of autism had risen to 1 in every 150 American children, and almost 1 in 94 boys. The issuance of this report caused a media uproar, but the news was not a surprise to the Autism Society or to the 1.5 million Americans living with the effects of autism spectrum disorder. Nonetheless, the spotlight shown on autism as a result of the prevalence increase opens opportunities for the nation to consider how to serve these families facing a lifetime of supports for their children.

Currently, the Autism Society estimates that the lifetime cost of caring for a child with autism ranges from $3.5 million to $5 million, and that the United States is facing almost $90 billion annually in costs for autism (this figure includes research, insurance costs and non-covered expenses, Medicaid waivers for autism, educational spending, housing, transportation, employment, in addition to related therapeutic services and caregiver costs).

We had a dressing room within the Riverplex and it was interesting to watch the faces of people standing in line for a different event at the the plex. They looked with awe and suspicion as members passed by with their totes. I have always wondered what people must think when they see the totes and for the first time someone asked me what was in the totes, and I simply replied "Magic."

While the group was dressing, I went out to the riverfront to get a table set up. There was a little bit of awe when a lone snowtrooper appeared but I went on my way to getting the table ready and checking for a ramp to walk down. Steps are not always the easiest thing to navigate in armor or in robes.

Finally, just a little before 9:00 AM we made our way from the classroom out to the crowd gathered for the walk. There weres some gasps and ooohhs and aahhhs as Lord Vader and his entourage (including some Rebel scum) made their way thru the doors to meet the crowd.

The group mingled with the guests and even participated in the walk. Aimee and Kent walked the whole mile plus walk and were excited to be greeted by applause from Lord Vader and the troopers. River and Cheryl, helped with Temporary Tats and activity booklets.

Along the riverfront there were inflatable bounce pits, a balloon artist, and more. Some troopers even got a massage. But the best was the Ice Cream from the Spotted Cow (a local Ice Cream place in Peoria). It's not easy for a Sith Lord to master ice cream. Mara Jade had no problem but Lord Vader, well at least he didnt spill.

All and all it was a fun day along with some fun pictures down along the river. Yes, it's the Illinois River and not the Mississippi River. Some folks thought the lone snowtrooper should lay down in the sand volleyball to make sand angels but that didnt happen this year.

We finished our troop and got ready for lunch and then some of us made a trip to Bloomington, Illinois for more fun at the Open rooster event.

What I have learned from communicating with parents of Autistic children and from a meeting that I attended, is that there is a special love of Star Wars amongst autistic children. And I believe we helped make this walk special for those children and adults that loved Star Wars.

Special kudos to Ed & Susan Duran and Gary & Kathy Davis for inviting us. Also a huge imperial kudo to Lisa Bowes the president of the Peoria Chapter for her work and for her copying our Imperial Activity booklets.

In attendance:

Chip Childress: SL-9965 Darth Vader
Steve Veile: TI-5126 Tie Pilot
Kyle Dorethy: TI-? Stormtrooper
Ryan Summers: TK-2429 Stormtrooper
Jeremy Wilcox: TK-7503 Stormtrooper
Kyle Rummel: TK-2526 Stormtrooper
Joe "River" Rivera: IC-3166 Imperial Crewman
Cheryl Whitaker: TB-3127 Off-Duty Tie Pilot
Chris Schwarz: TB-9442 Biker Scout
Aimee Jorgensen: TB0101 Biker Scout
Kent Heath: TK-1692 Snowtrooper
Thoms "Crix" Turner:- Rebel Pilot
Natasha Harrison:- Mara Jade
Desiree Veile-mini tie pilot

Last edited by Dirty Scout on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kent Heath
MWG Garrison Guard
MWG Charity Rep

"Go mbeidh an forsa leat"- May the Force Be With You.

Dirty Scout
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1692

Post by Dirty Scout »

Kent Heath
MWG Garrison Guard
MWG Charity Rep

"Go mbeidh an forsa leat"- May the Force Be With You.

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4438

Post by TI4438 »

Saturday definately was perfect for an outdoor troop.Great pics.