4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 3127

IL - Naperville - Max Lacewell's Life Celebration 7/8/09

Post by Whinter »

Max “Little Dude” Lacewell
June 2, 2003 – July 4, 2009

Mission Report by: Cheryl “Whinter” Whitaker (TI/TB-3127), MWG

Submitted: July 10, 2009

Back in March of 2009, many members of the 501st Legion, Rebel Legion & Jedi Assembly had the honor and pleasure of meeting a very special young man; 5 year old Max Lacewell of Naperville, Illinois; lover of Legos, Star Wars and Sushi. He won the hearts of our members, as well as people all over the United States. We had been invited to a Fundraiser/Fun-Fair/Raffle that was being held at the Naperville Presbyterian Church to raise funds for the research and protocols for DIPG (Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma), which is a rare childhood brain cancer with an alarming 90% mortality rate. Unfortunately, young Max was diagnosed with this terrible disease back on October 29, 2008.

At the time of Max’s Fundraiser/Fun-Fair, he had recently finished his first round of chemotherapy, which decreased the size of his tumor by an incredible 30% and gave his family and friends a wonderful glimmer of hope and a wealth of happiness. If anyone could beat this terrible disease, it would be Max! He was such a little fireball and showed absolutely no ill affects at his Fun-Fair. He was full of spunk and energy; battling every character he could find with his newly acquired lightsaber that Phyllis Schulte (TK/ID-1951) had custom made for him. She even made him his own Jedi robe. And to top it all off, we were even able to grant his “Make-A-Wish” wish of battling Darth Maul (TX/SL-3697 - Patrick Higgins). Max’s “Make-A-Wish” sponsor was also there to watch this amazing little boy’s ultimate wish come true. To quote the words of Max to his Mom that day, “This is the best party ever!”

Max’s party was indeed, the best party ever! It brought together over 40 costumed members of the MWG, MWB (RL), TJA, and even a member of the Japanese Garrison! At the end of the 4- hour event, we had helped raise an incredible $4,000.00 for DIPG!!! There is so much more to see and read about this truly amazing day for this very special little boy and his family.

You can read the mission report and view the photos from Max’s Fundraiser/Fun-Fair at the following link:
http://www.midwestgarrison.org/forum/vi ... 44&start=0

As the next several months played out, many of us followed Max’s journal at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/maxlacewell/journal , hoping and praying for a miracle for Max. However, while we were all attending various Fourth of July celebrations and parades, unbeknownst to us, Max was spending his last hours on this earth with his loving family. It wasn’t until Monday, July 6th that we heard the tragic news that we so did not want to hear. Max had passed away peacefully at his home in Naperville, IL on the evening of July 4th, with his family at his side (just a mere month after his 6th birthday). Of course, we were all shocked and completely crushed.

I received a phone call from Janet, my contact from Max’s Fundraiser, on the morning of July 6th, asking if I could possibly get some of the group together again to come out for Max’s Life Celebration Party that was going to be held after his midday service on Wednesday, July 8th. Once I posted the information on the boards, it didn’t take long for everyone to start asking their bosses for the day off or to reorganize/cancel plans so that they could make it to Max’s “Celebration”. We were able to gather 16 members, including Max’s favorite Sith Lord, Darth Maul, and a little purple droid by the name of R2-S5.

Fighting back the tears, we entered the gymnasium of the Naperville Presbyterian Church once again to find a sea of people, adults and children alike, gathered to celebrate the short, but incredible life of this amazing, brave “Little Dude” (Max’s nickname). Everything there echoed Max’s favorites in life; Legos, Star Wars, Sushi, Spongebob Squarepants and of course, his family. Two of the Star Wars films were playing in one of the corners and on a large screen high above the gym floor, while SpongeBob Squarepants was playing on a TV in another corner. Amongst the food that was there was a sushi station, complete with a poster displayed of Max wearing his Halloween costume…a Sushi Roll. They also had a Play-Doh station, a coloring station with Star Wars pictures for them to color and a huge Lego station stocked with enough Legos to, as Aimee (TB-0101) put it, “build an entire city”! Besides the Legos that were already open and out for the kids to play with, they also handed out small Lego sets to each of the children to take home with them. Max certainly did love his Legos, and he was a MASTER at putting them together!

Max’s parents were so grateful to have us there, for BOTH parties. As a small gift to Max’s family, we gave them a few cards with personal messages from each of us, as well as put together a collage of photos that we all took from Max’s Fun-Fair. Max’s father, David, said something to Patrick (Darth Maul) and a few others of us that nearly brought all of us to tears. Full of emotion, David said, “How many of us can actually say that we were lucky enough to have the one wish that we wanted most in our lives come true? Max could honestly say that it did for him. He got to battle Darth Maul.” It may sound simple to us, but this meant the absolute WORLD to Max and his family.

If you want to know the best thing about costuming and being in the 501st, Rebel Legion and Jedi Assembly organizations, you just read it!

Your Force will be with us, Max…ALWAYS!!

Max’s Obituary:
Maxwell C. Lacewell

Maxwell Channing Lacewell Maxwell Channing Lacewell, 6, beloved son of David Lacewell Jr. and Leanne Perkinson Lacewell, and brother of Addie, died peacefully at home in Naperville, IL, on the evening of Saturday July 4, 2009, after a heroic nine-month battle with cancer. Max is survived by his mom and dad, big sister, grandparents, Jim and Peggy Perkinson of Hendersonville, TN; grandfather, David Lacewell Sr. (Camilla) of Corvallis, OR, grandmother Wendy Gehring of Portland, OR. Aunts Meg (David) Parks of Hermitage, TN, and Kahna (Justin) Cole of Los Angeles, CA, and cousins Grace and Ella Parks. Max will be remembered for his infectious smile, his charm, his boundless enthusiasm for life and a constant desire to help others. He was a master Lego builder and Star Wars Jedi Knight. His time on earth was short, yet his influence on others has been vast. Visitation will take place from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, at Naperville Presbyterian Church, 943 Sanctuary Lane, Naperville, IL. The memorial service will take place at the church at 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 8, immediately followed by a celebration of Max's life. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made to the Max Lacewell Benefit Fund to permit the establishment of a brainstem glioma research endowment at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Donations should be sent to Max Lacewell Benefit Fund, P.O. Box 9715, Naperville, IL 60564.

“EARTHLY PERFECTION” – A beautiful, heart-warming story of Max’s last few days:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/nape ... 09.article

Attendance for Max’s Life Celebration:
Patrick Higgins (TX/SL-3697) – Darth Maul
Cheryl Whitaker (TI/TB-3127) – Biker Scout
Aimee Jorgensen (TB-0101) – Biker Scout
Phyllis Schulte (TK/ID-1951) – Stormtrooper
Joe Rivera (IC/TC-3166) – Captain Rex
Joseph Flores (TI-1296) – TIE Pilot
Vicki Silva (TI/TK- 7118) – TIE Pilot
Ed Silva (TD-4544) – Sandtrooper
Ed Kryzowski (TI/DZ-4438) – Tusken Raider
Anthony Day (SL-7956) – Anakin
Jen Loomis (SL-5365) – Photographer/Costume Support
Jody McQuarters (TK/DZ-6443) – Tusken Raider
Darryl Sorensen (IC-4050) – R2-S5 Droid Operator
Mark Van Slyke (DZ-8063) – Imperial Officer
Mike Riemma (TI-1659) – TIE Pilot
Chris Schwarz (TB-9442) – Biker Scout

Photos from Max’s Life Celebration:

Jen’s Photos:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/b ... lebration/

Thank you, Jen. You did a wonderful job!

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

As always...
great job Cheryl

and...
a head's up for all...

We are working to try to tie Max's life and charity to the DK events in October...

Aimee has notified Albin Johnson and asked if something can be done at least here at the MWG...

I have also notified Mary Franklin at Lucasfilm at the request of Cheryl.

As much joy as costuming has brought me over the years....
it has also brought deep sadness...
like Camp Quality, Isaac and Max

I guess, as always....we have to take the bad with the good....

I am greatful for the ability to even do these things...

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4438

Post by TI4438 »

Excellant report.I sure wish things could have been different for Max.4026 and myself were happy to help out.

Jodo
Imperial Soldier
Imperial Soldier

Post by Jodo »

That is a very sad story. :cry:
Jodo ~ Decipher Jodo Kast - Battlestar Marine - BSG Razor Marine - TDK Joker(s) - My Next Awsome Project ~

Remo
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1659

Post by Remo »

I'm glad I got the chance to troop both times for him and his family.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams".

gunner77
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1739

Post by gunner77 »

Very sorry to hear of this and certainly wish things had turned out different for Max and his family.

It was wonderful meeting him a few months ago and I wish his family peace moving forward. Great job to everyone that attended his Life Celebration party, I wish I could have been there, and I'm sure Max would have loved seeing all the Star Wars characters again. He will certainly be missed by a lot of people.
IG-1739 - Gunner77
Midwest Garrison - Illinois
"one shot...one planet"