Moderator: Garrison Officers

Nightshifter
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 6443

Joliet Library 4-10-10 Star Wars Day.

Post by Nightshifter »

Mission Report for the Joliet Library 1st Star Wars Day event.
Date 4-10-10

This was my second event I helped plan since I have been a member and had a great time doing it. I saw it posted on the form and replied that I would take the lead on this. After contacting Roger Burns ( Mr Burns) at the library we got to sit down several times to go over plans for the days even. Turns out Mr Burns had heard about us from another libray that had the 501st there and thought it would be fun to have a Star Wars Day at the library he work at with the kids.
Mr Burns like us is a huge SW fan which helped things move along. I mentioned that if he was to free up some diplay cases that I would be willing to bring in some of my masks and SW collection to place on display. He was able to free up 3 cases by the front door so I put it out that if anyone else wanted to put items on display as well. Did not take long before other members meet me up there and placed their items on display for about a month. People got a kick out of seeing the stuff on display.
Some people even asked if the tusken masks were real ones from the movie.
The day came and went with out a problem and was a great event. I can not thank everyone enough for making the day out for the event. Roger had sent me a letter a few days after the event which is posted below for all to see.

The 501st Midwest Garrison enabled the Joliet Public Library to exceed expectations – for myself, the staff, and the public. I’ve heard Jody McQuarters talk about the surprise and joy on a child’s face when they see movie characters in full regalia, but I had to witness it myself to really understand. I was on the first floor of the library, near the entrance to our event when the first costumed 501st members (3 stormtroopers) made their appearance. Kids went saucer-eyed and adults and children alike gasped. I will never forget this. And I reveled in knowing something else: they were only the beginning of the spectacle; several villains and heroes, including of course Darth Vader, had yet to arrive. When they did, kids and adult went crazy with photos. I had several positive comments on the group as a whole. Nothing negative. Several comments regarding Darth Vader, an imposing replica right down to the artificial breathing. In the days that followed I had several people talk excitedly about Vader. But Vader wasn’t all. Here is what else: staff and patrons were impressed by the 501st’s playfulness - staging mock captures, interacting with the public, and showing saint-like patience while posing for photos in what looked like very hot and stuffy head gear (sand people Vader and troopers). And needless to say people were blown away by everybody’s costume. 501st was integral in making this event fun, quirky, and visually stimulating; but more than that, their positive attitude, kindness, playfulness and ability to successfully interact with the public fit seamlessly into what is essentially a community event. On Saturday April 10th, the 501st became part of OUR community. Everyone felt it. And everyone had fun: kids, adults, staff, and (I believe) the 501st. I must also thank the Jedi warriors- from the 501st sister organization – for taking time to come by. They added an indispensable element of diversity and excitement. Also, mention must go to Phyllis for bringing the thermal detonator, target practice and most of all R2D2. Laser guns (even nurf!) and a fully functional droid were big hits with the kids. I thought everyone involved was professional, flexible and polite. Last, I must thank Jody McQuarters for sharing his time and advice, and for always being available. Without his participation, our event wouldn’t have come off so smoothly. All in all everyone was a pleasure to know and to collaborate with. I hope the Joliet Public Library in turn met all of your needs. I look forward – and hope to work with many of you again. For the record the total number of attendance was 573(kids were 317 and adults 256). One last thing, a co-worker of mine went out to eat Saturday night and the people at the table next to her were raving about the Star Wars event they had attended earlier that day. This same co-worker dragged her 12 year old grandson to the Star Wars event. He did want to go. At the end of the day he turned to her and said, “Grandma, I didn’t think I’d enjoy this and have fun, but I really did.”

Roger Burns

Joliet Public Library

Members that signed and were there..
Jody6443
iam8114
Schph Gochi
dad vader
ID 3052
Arcturus 1020
Crix
Mattbobmcd
IK7472
Fitz
o331mrine
Whinter..

edited by Schph Gochi - photo added for you Jody.... :)
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world

TI4438
Inactive Member
Inactive Member
501st Legion ID: 4438

Post by TI4438 »

Pics man,pics!

Arcturus1020
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1020

Post by Arcturus1020 »

Excellent write up, Jody! This was truly an incredible event, and there were soooooo many kids there. It was enjoyably insane! :D
TI4438 wrote:Pics man,pics!
ALBUM 1
ALBUM 2
ALBUM 3

Nightshifter
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 6443

Post by Nightshifter »

Thanks ,, I am unable to hook oics up yet. I need to set it up still. More pics as well under this event in the archives on page 8.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

TI4438 wrote:Pics man,pics!

more photos:

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... 204-10-10/

JohnQTK5122
501st Member
501st Member

Post by JohnQTK5122 »

John Q.
TD-5122
MEPD "We Fight Dirty"
Wisconsin Garrison

Artoo Gochi
Rebel Legion Member

Post by Artoo Gochi »

I had a very good time at this event dispite my early demise.
An Astromech on a mission.