Moderator: Garrison Officers

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 4034

IL - St. Charles/60714 - MSABC walk - Sun 10/20/13

Post by gazmosis »

Image WE WANT YOU TO HELP US STAMP OUT BREAST CANCER!!! This is an event that has touched many of our members; some more than others. Once again, The Rebel Legion and the 501st Legion united to do their part to stamp out breast cancer at the 2013 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event at Pottawatomie Park along the gorgeous Fox River in historic St. Charles, Illinois. ImageImage It has rained on us for the past few years, but the event was blessed with cool temps, but gorgeous, sunny skies.ImageImage After all the troopers, characters, and pilots mingled with the dedicated people in attendance, ImageImageImageImage it was time to get down to business to conquer what we came to do; the 5K walk against breast cancer.Image a few troopers needed pit stops prior to the walkImage A good number of troopers participated in the walkImage Even Darth Vader crossed the finish line!Image Troopers stood by to welcome and cheer on other members and walkers alike.Image Just because our part of the walk was over, our business was not. The organizers of the event celebrated those people/teams that went above and beyond. We were honored by the mind blowing accomplishment from one of our own; Phyllis Schulte. Her dedication to this event goes back almost a decade and her hard work paid off as she collected $2055.00 in donations and was awarded #1 in single person donation collections. We are so proud of you, Phyllis. It's an honor troop beside you! Phyllis was brought on stage and presented with an award to honor her dedicationImage This was just the beginning, though. Through the dedication of both 501st Legion and Rebel Legion members, many of whom started their own fundraising teams, we were presented with an award for being #1 out of 42 total teams for donations earned. ImageImage Although the total at the time the certificate was printed said $4501.00, the actual amount that was earned was $4751.00!!! The original goal that was set was $2500. This was blown away and the goal was raised to $4000.00. The total speaks for itself about the dedication these two groups have for joining together towards a great cause.
After business was done, we were able celebrate the achievement of trooper Gina Martino who celebrated her 100th event as a trooper.Image Members Hawk and Kim Worley baked trooper Martino a cake with an edible patch which she quickly devoured.Image The cake was so delicious, it created joy for everyone who took part.ImageImage We also celebrated the inaugural event for first time trooper and new member Eric Werner who rocked his new Stormtrooper armor. He is on the rightImage Welcome to your new family, Eric!!
It was an epic day all around. Fun and joy was had by both troopers and their families.ImageImageImageImageImage
A huge thanks to all troopers who attended:
Gina Martino 6216 Bespin Leia
Scott Miller Rebel X-wing pilot
Tyler Meier DZ50488 Tusken Raider
Dylan Van Horn Rebel X-wing pilot (Porkins)
Jody McQuarters Dz 6443 Tusken Raider
Steve Mammen 7345 Rebel X-wing pilot
Aaron Brigman SL 2875 Darth Vader
Ted O'Sullivan SL 943 Royal Imperial Guard
Dave Klima TK 12155 Stormtrooper
Matt Frysztak TK 8596 Stormtrooper
Brian Troyan TB 8968 Biker Scout
River TB 3166 Biker Scout
Eric Werner TK 41551 Stormtrooper
Patric Klehr Rebel Chewbacca
Jose Mata TX 19800 Shadowtrooper
Aimee Jorgensen TB101 Tusken Raider
Partick Lewis TK 52809 Stormtrooper
Darcy Jorgensen TB 81470 Biker scout
Mary Walton BH 5202 Support staff/photog
Phyllis Schulte 1951 Rebel X-wing pilot
Steve Gaza TK 4034 Stormtrooper
Samantha Scholl Rebel Snowbunny
Kevin Skiera TK 9336 Stormtrooper
Neil Auer TK 3446 Imperial Gunner
Shannon Buetsch BH 82371 Boussh
Tom Turner Rebel Rebel Fleet Trooper
Tara Turner Rebel Rebel Fleet Trooper
Kim Worley DZ 12108 Tusken raider
Jim Norman TK 8114 Stormtrooper
29 troopers X 4 hours= 116 man hours

edited to add participants by Schph Gochi -and adjusted the hours total..

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Re: IL - St. Charles/60714 - MSABC walk - Sun 10/20/13

Post by Schph Gochi »

Added to Charity blog and charity totals.

Direct $$ total: $4,751.00
Indirect $$ total: $51,861.66
man hours: 108

Adding to what Steve said.......

Since I have always felt that it was important that our team was more than just a curiosity, fundraising for this event was always job 1 in my book.

Adding my thanks to Steves....

to all who came and wowed them...

to all who attended events that raised donations for the team

and..

especially to our members who signed up on-line and did additional fundraising.

Our on-line fundraising team:

Steve Gaza
Zdravka Boneva
Anastasia Lewis
Patrick Lewis
Steven Mammen
James Norman
Sharon Osmondson
Phyllis Schulte
Team Gifts $902

Where our impact is indeed felt as a fundraising team, it does go further than that. On Monday, as BXO for Nar Shaddaa Base I received an appearance request at the Rebel Legion for an appearance by NSB for a July Relay for Life in Mendota. One of the organizers of the Mendota/Upper Illinois Valley Relay for Life was in the audience on Sunday. The RFL organizer had this to say about our group:

"I was at the St. Charles Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk today and saw the excitement when you entered the park. Mike Jostes is a dear friend of mine and he gave me your info. Please do not feel you have to fundraise. If you agree to join us in our fight against cancer, I will try to get a business to sponsor your team and donate to you or to our event in your honor."

My mother died from breast cancer in 1989.
We all have losses.
It was the brutality of this disease in mom's final months that cut to my very core. If I can spare just one woman what my mom went through, it is all worth it.

btw: NSB member Tara Turner was the other RFT. And their son Luke was the Jawa and their other son Jake was the mini X-Wing Pilot.
Also added Jim Norman to the list Steve...he probably didn't get a chance to hit the sign in sheet.

A little history lesson:

THROUGH THE YEARS:

Team 2013

Team 2012

Team 2011

Team 2010

Team 2009

Team 2008

Team 2007

Team 2006

gazmosis
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 4034

Post by gazmosis »

Thank you for the follow up, Phyllis!!!!

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 1951

Post by Schph Gochi »

gazmosis wrote:Thank you for the follow up, Phyllis!!!!
no problem...that is what anal people like me do..

:blink:

Runnin'6712
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 6712

Post by Runnin'6712 »

ToD updated. If I missed anyone please let me know. You guys did awesome! Great job!! :thumbs:

Rebel Doughboy
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 9336

Post by Rebel Doughboy »

Awesome time, great write up and follow up by Phyllis!

I am honored to be a part of this!
Many bothans died to bring you this post...the tearing of ligaments and almost the loss of a TK's finger...