Moderator: Garrison Officers

Schph Gochi
MWG Member
MWG Member
4poziom.waw.pl
501st Legion ID: 1951

IL Chicago 1-1-13 Polar Bear Plunge

Post by Schph Gochi »

The MWG was contacted by local reporter for all things "geeky" Elliot Serrano to do something a little out of the ordinary. Elliot asked us to support a team of zookeepers from Lincoln Park Zoo as they participated in the North Ave Beach Polar Bear Plunge on New Years Day. The zookeepers were raising fundns for Polar Bears International and hoped that having MWG members in costume chase the "rebel zookeepers" into Lake Michigan would help call attention to their cause.

Mission accomplished! I can assure you that everyone on the beach for the Plunge knew we were there.

We started out meeting at the lion house at Lincoln Park Zoo and when Elliot met up with us we then made our way to a room behind one of the exhibits to suit up. Next we had a several block walk to the staging area for the Wampa Plunge which was North Ave Beach. We made our way onto the sand and we had to wait a bit for Lord Vader as he was (as always) being asked for photos so it took Steve a little longer to get to the water.

We gathered with the Zookeepers for some photos on the sand and (while I was struggling with removing my Hoth boots in the back of the crowd) on queue the Empire chased the Zookeepers into the cold Lake Michigan waters. As soon as I got my Hoth boots off and sandals on both NSB Rebels Ashely McClintock and I also went into the Lake. Also heading into the water was Neil Auer's wife and she did a GREAT job! Later Kevin (RDB) also removed his TK boots and his calf pieces and went into the Lake as well.

Air temperature was about 20 degrees and water temp was about 30 degrees but the sun was shining and that made things feel a little warmer.

Two members of our team presented checks to the Zookeepers totaling $250.00 as contribution to the Polar Bears International cause in addition to our costumed presence at this event.

My sincere thanks to all who got out of bed early on a cold New Years day...drove down to the lake...walked to and from the beach in the cold and are now busily removing sand from every crevice of their costume.
You guys...as always...ROCKED IT!!

Elliot was very happy and did let us know that we did our job....and did it well!!

Participants:

Steve Szyndrowski - SL3052 - Vader
Cheryl Whitaker- TB3127 - New Years Scout
Tyler Meier - DZ50488 - Tusken
Neil Auer - IG3446 - Gunner
Kevin Skiera - TK9336 - Stormtrooper
Quincy Newkirk - TB9988 - Scout
Kathy VanBeuningen - TS9989 -Snowtrooper
Phyllis Schulte - TK1951 - Hoth Trench Trooper
and
many thanks to:
Ashley McClintock - NSB - Endor Commando
Andrea Auer and the entire Auer family

What does Vader do when he has a little time on his hands?

Nobody does festive like Cheryl

Go Team!

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off to "work" we go..

Go Andrea !! :D

The Rebels take the water:

More photos:

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... ?start=all

TK3446
MWG Member
MWG Member
501st Legion ID: 3446

Re: IL Chicago 1-1-13 Polar Bear Plunge

Post by TK3446 »

Was a great time! Andrea is Mrs. 3446. I wish we could photoshop out Baby New Year from the photo's. That guy was annoying! LOL!
Neil " El Blanco Lando" Auer
TK3446

Runnin'6712
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Event Coordinator
501st Legion ID: 6712

Re: IL Chicago 1-1-13 Polar Bear Plunge

Post by Runnin'6712 »

ToD updated.